Fairymead bushings

Screwy Nick

I just spoke with Cliff of Accucraft about the bushings for the Fairymead.  They will be arriving in Ca on the  17th and will be shipped shortly after.  Good news.  

I also mentioned the weight I put in the smoke box and he said that would work just fine without changing any of the springs.   

• 2 weeks later...

In yesterday's post I received the new side rods with bushings. The new rods are larger where the bushing is.   I also received bushing they suggest to use in place of a spring on the trailing truck, which I totally disagree with. 

Simple swap.  The bushings will be the item to wear instead of the bolt holding the rods to the wheel.  I think I'm going to try install bearings in the old ones if I can find some that are small enough. 

The new rods are really no bigger than the factory supplied ones,  just look so since they are new and shiny.

The swap is not as simple as I had assumed.  The screws that hold the drive rod to the piston rod were stripped, both sides. The bolts holding the rods to the wheels have a LOCTITE material on them (had to use caps as the spell check would only say lactate)  Took a 5mm wrench and locked the wheel with a small screw driver in a driver wheel hole and let it stop at the frame, then the nut came loose.  I was very apprehensive about the amount of pressure it took to loosen it,  maybe a little heat would have been better.   

I also found my brake shoes were bent in ward toward the wheel and outward toward the rod.  I don't think it was rubbing anywhere, but straightened them out anyway.  

Nice outside so I'm going to boil some water and have fun.     Hope many of you do the same.      

Here's the latest I have.  I replaced the rods that connect the drivers and that was easy.  No one seemed to realize the rod connecting the rear driver to the cylinder rod was pressed in.   Make a long story short,  I did replace it using heating, grinding and other procedures that I wouldn't recommend anyone else do unless you have had experience working with other things,  Chuck knows what I'm talking about, not for the faint of heart.   I did replace the rods and am happy how it came out.   I posted a detailed procedure on other forums (not many LS guys here but I still like to be here, very friendly and knowledgable, I will post the entire procedure if anyone is interested)  it seems others are apprehensive to try it, and I don't blame them until i see what Accucraft comes up with.  

TO GET TO THE POINT,   I now have extra rods that I'd like to use as a detail ON THE LOCOMOTIVE,  just don't know where to put them.

I can't wait for the response to that LOL       BTW I do have a sense of humor  and very thick skin.  

WOW!! Sounds like a lot of work...but then again most mods to factory made engines usually do require many hours of tweaking to perform like they should.

Good job!