Train Videos

Chuck

Here's some videos I watched on You Tube the other day.

This one I really like, maybe because it's "simple"? I mean just some track and rc controlled via battery power "toys" :)

And this one redefines the phrase "Go big or go home!"

For those of you who haven't seen it, I've been wanting to present some of the European gauge 1 scene for a while now.

This thread seems to have a broad enough subject to show a few videos from German modular meets.

Around here, we don't have as many scales as the US market is seeing. G scale is LGB or 1:22.5 and 1 scale is 1:32 - both on 45mm gauge track, but G is normally a larger code rail than 1, which is code 200.

When MTH is trying out European models, this is the market they are tapping into. If they make reasonable and affordable models, they will succeed, although money is shorter than before 2008 ...

Anyway, here are some videos from German 1 scale (or track 1 as we call it) modular meets. The layouts are big, and the events are open to the public.

Borken 2013

Heilbronn 2013

Leipzig 2012

Jens

Unfortunately I can't take any credit for anything on the videos. It's the work of Germans clubs and individuals, but it is very very nice. From what I hear, though, the main problem at these events is traffic congestion on the tracks  :rolleyes:

I haven't attended myself yet, but we're talking about a club excursion to one of these meets. It's not more than a day's drive away, and we can rent a people mover van fairly cheap south of the border in Germany.

Yes, I picked that up, so I wanted to emphasize that it isn't   :)

This is my club ... and there are other videos from the club layout on my YouTube channel.

Thanks for sharing Jens.  Steamers look great and I also like the RC vehicles being used, have wondered about using similar for train shows.

Forgive me for this. I want to say "over there" ...as if you are from the same country or area. As I was raised, it's like it's all "over there"!

Anyways, there seems to be more emphasis on track "over there" (across the water) than here in America. There's a lot more concern about track work over here in the smaller scales. The majority of users over here in the bigger gauge, don't seem to treat track work as part of the scenery.

So with this in mind, I look at these videos in amazement over the detailed scenery including the track itself, ballast, and all the effort to create this level of realism. Most clubs over here are happy to have some (oversized rail) track screwed down to plywood and if ballasted, it would be extra detailed.

The videos you show here have a higher level of detail on everything in the scene including the track. To me, it's harder to tell the difference at quick glance because of this extra attention to detail. As if the clubs take the whole thing more seriously "over there"!!

Forgive me for this. I want to say "over there" ...as if you are from the same country or area. As I was raised, it's like it's all "over there"!

Anyways, there seems to be more emphasis on track "over there" (across the water) than here in America. There's a lot more concern about track work over here in the smaller scales. The majority of users over here in the bigger gauge, don't seem to treat track work as part of the scenery.

I agree about the lack of interest in track work "over here"..but I think I know why..

its probably because in "large scale" most of us are stuck with really bulky and clunky code 332 "narrow gauge" track..even if we are running standard gauge.

yes, there are other options, Aristo and USA trains do offer "American profile" (standard gauge profile) ties, and very nice code 250 track is available, but you have to specifically know it exists and seek it out..and most people new to the hobby dont know it exists..I will use my own experience as an example.

My Dad got into Large Scale in the year 2000, we started getting him track to use to build his garden railroad..

at the time, we didnt think at all about different tie profiles or rail sizes..we just went out and got "G scale track"..

The VAST majority of track that was easily available at shops was Aristocraft "European" ("Narrow gauge") tie profile, code 332, brass..

That was, and pretty much still is, the "standard" track..regular LGB track also looks about the same..

Over the course of about 5 years we got about 500 feet of it...

My Dad has since passed away, and I now own all of that track..

Im now building my own garden railroad..guess what track im going to use! ;)

I am modeling 1/29 scale standard gauge..eventually I would like to replace all my track with code 250 "standard gauge tie profile" track..

but thats not going to happen any time soon..

So I think for a lot of large scale modelers, they start out by "just buying track"..and if you go out to "just buy track" you are 90% likely to end up with Aristo, USA trains or LGB code 332 "narrow gauge tie" track..and by the time we realise we might want "nicer looking track",

and realize that track actually exists, its too late..and it would be super-expensive to replace all that track you already bought..so many people just don't bother.

So we end up with 90% of US garden railroads having clunky track..

its good quality very robust track! ;) nothing wrong with it operationally..but visually, it leaves a lot to be desired, especially for 1/32 and 1/29 scale

standard gauge modelers..

Scot

Well, I have to agree with you! (somewhat)

I knew about better track though. I just couldn't find it at the time I started. A couple of dealers even suggested that I stick with code 332 as it's heavier and takes abuse better. Most dealers wouldn't even order smaller rail.

Now that I'm online a lot more, I see a lot more smaller code track, especially out west (in California). I don't see many people setting up for shows that create the proper raised roadbed with drainage over here, non the less! Even if they used code 332, they don't prepare the scenery the same way.

No offense taken, Joe.

In fact, over here, it's you guys who are "over there"  :D

Most of the US gauge 1/G layouts I see are actually outdoors, and then it makes perfect sense to use the more sturdy track with larger code.

Keep in mind that most European layouts - at least the ones you see above - are indoor layouts, and you couldn't make that level of detail outdoors and expect it to last more than a year.

Most European gauge 1 (~ 1:32) is thus indoors, and outside, people tend to use G (~ 1:22.5). There are exceptions, of course, and some people use G indoors and some use 1 outdoors. They are few and far between, though.

Getting back on topic, here's the most awesome 2 x BR44 recording I've ever seen. The BR44 doubleheader is of course famous for the 'Langer Heinrich' or 'Long Henry' ore train, but here they're really showing off on what is most likely a photo special, hauling a trainload of wooden logs up the ramp out of the town of Oberrohn in Germany. Not my recording, but easily one of my favorites. Go to hi-res and full screen if you have the bandwidth for it - and turn up the volume.

(Edit: or maybe it's from one of the "plandampf" events - where they run revenue trains with steamers)

Jens

But where are the Big Boys?? :)

Behind the camera, of course  :lol:

And in front of my camera when 4014 is steaming again.

Watching all those European Trains reminded me of one of my favorite train movies!

http://youtu.be/WM3lrSc0Tp4?list=PLu2yJYN8Tt6ststr54U4g9-0bUM-wLN2b

Whoa - that's a full length film. Have to watch it some rainy day when I have the time.

The first part was great, though. Wonderful train scenes from before the standardization swept the world ...

The old movie reminded me that old Danish railway movies are appearing on the tube. Some of you may find them interesting:

Building an H class (2-8-0) steam locomotive, Danish State Railways 1941.

You follow the building - literally from scratch - of a steam locomotive at the Frichs factory.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

"Her er banerne" - a documentary from 1948, roughly translated to 'This is the railway'.

Classic Danish film and ever popular among aficionados. Danish narration.

And going back to present day: the mother of all train videos - full length cab recording of the Bergen railway in Norway.

It was broadcast in full on Norwegian national TV. People loved it and are buying the DVD. It has sparked the Danish national broadcaster to make similar recordings of all Danish railway lines. They are broadcast at night in HD.

Edit: The Bergen video with the slightly very extremely boring tunnel sequences removed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgEY-57IBoA