Milwaukee Road GP9

Chuck

Since nobody makes a 1:32 scale GP9 (other than say high-end Samhongsa brass) the only choice is Lionel Large Scale. I bought one awhile back on eBay that was in ACL grey with red/ yellow stripes. I stripped off the old paint in alcohol and sprayed on Milw. orange & black Tru-Color Paint. I've been making homemade on the ink-jet printer decals. It's just about ready to be flat clear-coated. 

Once I'm done with the shell I'll convert it to 4 motors and DCS it.

Oh and these models are getting some age on them as this one is a 1989? version :)

post-23-0-55607300-1407612034_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-23727800-1407612051_thumb.jpg

Chuck, really nice job. Are you going to use the stock handrails? Since you're doing this right, several years ago I cast alumilite frames for these which allows you to use NWSL powered trucks under them. If you ever decide to change out the power trucks let me know. Its alot of work, but you'll have a very nice running 1/32nd scale GP-9 when finished. Larry

Larry,

You bet I'll use the stock handrails! I know that they're a bit bulky but that's part of the old Lionel charm. Don't have to worry about breaking off the fine detail every time they bump into something. Hmm...alumite truck frames do sound interesting!!  :)  

Joe,

Those crisp paint lines are made with the magic of using Tamiya line tape...it's the best! And Tru-Color paint dries so fast it doesn't have time to "bleed" up all the cracks & crevices though it is kinda expensive when painting large scale trains.

• 1 year later...

Very nice paint job Chuck. and happy new year  to everyone!

Just before Christmas I made a fantastic "catch" on E Bay: A Lionel GP9 for 50 bucks! As I had the Garry Raymond articles in Outdoor Railroader, I knew that it was a very good replica of the GP7 actually in 1/32 scale. It was sold as is for parts and when I looked at the photos it seemed all there, except maybe the electronics.
 When it arrived, it was true to my first impression, complete except for one handrail stantion, and all the motors were growling along nicely. I wired it up and cleaned the wheels (nicely rusted a bit) and it ran and had all the lighting. But it creeped away very slowly and there was absolutely no sound.  I tried turning the airtank potentiometer but it didn't help the sound. So i finally gutted out the onboard electronics and rewired it for straight analogic running; which it now does very well. I took advantage of a clear day to test run it outdoors with about 13 cars and she did fine ( on very dirty track).
 I then commenced with the cosmetic improvements: Lowering the body, bolting the pilot to the frame at the correct height, adding Kadees,  then more cosmetics to the pilot and redid the handrails with scale sized ones chemically blackened. I did the grabs and coupler lift bars and a bit of painting and there she is a new unit for my pike.
So far it is in analogic and I can't run it with my MTH, but I might do a conversion, two of the motors have  slight extensions above so I could fit a flywheel... But I may use it in battery mode also if there is enough space under the hood. I may just keep it analogic so that I have at least one US analogic loco. But I was happy to have this little unit as it fits my financial status as a new  retiree very well.
 I will make it out as a GP7 which the body represents, although it is numbered as a GP9, nobody will know over here, I am on the lookout for a roof hatch with two small fans rather than one large fan either for sale or for swap as it should be done that way to be accurate. If you know anybody who might want to swap or have one for sale, please let me know as here this Lionel large scale Geep is unheard of (it's probably the only one in France, lest the continent!) (even if it isn't in dark green loco enamel as the Pennsy called it)post-50-0-44974400-1452350212_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-12532000-1452350263_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-35168100-1452350332_thumb.jpg