G Scale Trolleys,Streetcars, traction, etc. Any Interest?

ihphobby

Hi all, I run a small company that produces traction and electric rail transit models for the smaller modeling scales.  We've been considering doing some G scale products using 3D printing.  What kind of interest is there in trolley modeling in G scale?  We're considering some PCC-type streetcars as well as some LRVs, possibly some earlier steel cars, all USA-prototypes.  

Thanks!

Mike Bartel

IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

www.shapeways.com/shops/ihphobby

www.twitter.com/ihphobby

Mike,

I'd be real interested in LIRR MP70 double deckers, prefer 1:29 scale also older NYCity subways. Aristo did the PCC's, Bachmann did the Peter Witt. I checked out your web site, nice stuff. I hope you take the plunge into large scale.

Chris

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums.  I'm really glad to hear the interest in possibly producing something for G scale.

As far as the level of interest in the trolleys I'm not sure I can help as far as giving an idea on their popularity.  I personally run all mainline stuff, but I think the larger percentage of the market would be at least open to consider one.  I'm not sure how well the Aristocraft PCCs sold.  

The models you have on your site do look good and look forward to hearing about any progress if you do proceed with some production.  Will you likely just do Trolleys or would you consider getting into larger mainline engines?

Thanks for the replies.  The Aristo PCC did well from what I understand.  A Gauge I PCC was long awaited and it filled the market nicely.  They could sell more if they were still in business.

We did upload a Brill Bullet shell to Shapeways recently to check prices and some other things.  It's not cheap, but the truth is that most of that price is Shapeways, not us.  It's not for everyone, just those interested in the Bullet. The same will apply to any other shells we decide to upload.  They are printable, but don't expect made-in-China prices.  We'll upload some other trolley shells in the near future, but if you want us to compete with Aristo prices, it's not possible.  This is one-at-a-time, made-to-order, niche-market production, something for which 3D printing is well suited.  We are not looking to compete with Aristo or LGB or anyone else making RTR G gauge models, and it's unlikely they will ever make most of what we intend to offer.  These are also large shells, nearly 2' long for the Bullet, so you aren't getting nothing for something.

We specialize in commuter, transit and traction subjects, so no mainline or freight models from IHP.   We do offer custom CAD modeling, so if you'd like to do a custom model, contact us.

Next up wil be some double-end PCC shells and maybe an LRV.  We expected that the trucks from the Aristo PCC can be used to power them (the complete chassis can probably be used in the PCC cars), but the closing of Aristo might make it difficult to get them.  It will be up to the builder in that case.

Thanks!

Mike Bartel

IHP

http://ihphobby.tripod.com

www.shapeways.com/shops/ihphobby

www.twitter.com/ihphobby