tach tape fix

enginear joe

I have a MTH F7 G scale w/ ps2 that just ran slow. Everything else is perfect and she runs smoothly. I think that's why she was sold on ebay to me. I had to keep her running alone on the layout.

I noticed the flywheel wasn't perfectly centered under the tach reader. I fixed that but still ran the same. I tried blackening out a couple stripes but now she ran slow and jerky?

So I printed a new tach tape on Avery name badge labels and put it over the painted flywheel. She now runs just a hair fast but will run with others.

post-10-0-36305900-1422130259.jpg

It was either a bad motor or some sort of sound file/sound file load issue.  If the reader was not getting reliable readings it would have been very noticeable, not just slow.

If the tach strip count is being changed in an attempt to correct the speed then this is masking/compensating for some other problem which as noted would be a motor/sound file load/sound file configuration issue.

In the end if it's working like you want it it's all that matters :)