G Scale Flat Cars

trainsguy

First, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to post this question, nor am I even sure how to ask this question.

I'm a Lionel O gauge guy but I have a question about G scale.

Are all flat cars, which are designated as G scale, compatible with each other as far as couplers lining up, connecting and being able to run anywhere within a consist.

In a perfect world, I want to be able to find a plain G scale flatcar that will run with any G scale brand, on any G scale track, with any G scale coupler.

Is that possible, and if so, what would that flat car be?

Any suggestions or information is appreciated because like I said, I don't have the first clue about G scale.

Hi and welcome,

There is some compatibility in factory coupler height it just depends on the manufacturer and which mfg you are trying to couple to what.  Relative to a Kadee standard height gauge, some will be low, some will be high.  I know with MTH their coupler heights are just about at the exact height of a Kadee coupler height gauge.  With Bachmann I recall their factory couplers were too low to stay coupled to anything else. (But I dont recall if Bachmann has flat cars even available)  Aristocraft and USA Trains I just don't recall how they compare to standard Kadee coupler height.  Outside of the MTH protocouplers (electronically fired couplers) that come on factory locomotives I replace all my couplers with Kadee G scale (not 1 gauge) body mounts for reliability, strength and ease of use.  

MTH truck to Kadee height gauge:

post-16-0-13179600-1428254427_thumb.jpg

As far as flat cars available:

- USA Trains:  Produces flat cars although I don't know if they come without loads on them.  

- Aristocraft:  Produced some flat cars but these may be harder to find.

- LGB:  These are the flat cars I often see a lot of people go for and were available without loads.  These show up on ebay from time to time  (If I was looking for just a flat car with no load I might look for these)

- MTH:  They produced flat cars but usually with high quality loads already provided with them which will make them a little more expensive.  (Loads such as large generators, die cast scale heavy equipment)

Generally what I would say is be prepared to consider replacing them with Kadees, either truck mounted or even better go body mount.  That way you standardize your couplers on all your equipment and end up with strong reliable couplers that don't have mechanisms that can come uncoupled.

I have a number of pages on my website that instructs on how to install body mount Kadees on a number of types of passenger cars and rolling stock from a number of manufacturers.  That might help give an idea to what is involved.

Raymond

Are all flat cars, which are designated as G scale, compatible with each other as far as couplers lining up, connecting and being able to run anywhere within a consist.

Hi,  No as manufacturers are all over the place as far as coupler height...There is no set "standard" between them as in the O Gauge world. Infact most manufacturers couplers won't mate with each other  :huh:

In a perfect world, I want to be able to find a plain G scale flatcar that will run with any G scale brand, on any G scale track, with any G scale coupler.

Good luck on that and do let us know how you make out.