Fire barrel spacing?

jime

We leveled the raised area of our track today.
I will have over 40' of trestle to build.
I have most of it designed already but was wondering about fire barrels? 
How far apart would / do you place fire barrels when building your trestle? 

Thank You for any ideas.
Jim

this is from a post on train orders

"I'm not saying it wasn't done, but this is the first time I've heard of barrels of sand on wooden trestles.

Pg. 67 of Bruce Petty's/Steam Age Equipment Company's "Southern Pacific Lines Common Standard Plans, Vol. 1" has an SP plan adopted June 7, 1915 and revised April 22, 1958 titled "REFUGE AND WATER BARREL PLATFORM FOR OPEN DECK TRESTLES WITHOUT SIDEWALKS." A note with the plan states: "Where local conditions permit, water barrels may be eliminated when authorized by Chief Engineer."

Pg. 41 of Challenger Press' "Union Pacific Common Standard Drawings, Vol. 1" has a UP plan Adopted October 11, 1905 and revised January 31, 1928 titled "COMMON STANDARD PLATFORM FOR WATER BARRELS ON PILE AND FRAME TRESTLE BRIDGES." One of the notes states: "Pile and frame trestle bridges less than 45 ft. in length to have one water barrel set in bank at one end of bridge.." Water barrel placement for longer bridges are discussed also.

Pg. 42 of this publication has a plan adopted January 31, 1928 titled "COMMON STANDARD PLATFORM FOR WATER BARRELS ON STEEL BRIDGES." Last week, in a Trainorders thread about the Canyon Diablo bridge on BNSF's transcon line (on the Western Board I believe), the subject of fire barrels on steel bridges came up. One of the notes in this plan states: "Steel bridges, with timber decks, 400 ft. in length to have one water barrel set in bank at each end of bridge and one water barrel at the center of bridge, and for each additional 200 ft. add one water barrel, all symmetrically located in regard to the over-all length of bridge."

Pg. 43 of this publication has an August 30, 1924 plan for a wooden water barrel titled "COMMON STANDARD WATER BARREL FOR FIRE PROTECTION." Notes state: "Barrel to be painted as indicated above Stencil letters in with Red at least 6in. high, "For Fire Only." Provide 2 pails with each barrel" (there seems to be a publisher typo here. The "in" should be in front of "Stencil"). Notes also state: "Where water barrels are subject to freezing temperatures they should be filled with a non freeze solution by thoroughly dissolving salt (CaCl) in hot water.."

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1531469