BigBoy Sensors

pommanz

Hi , I am A Brit And have just completed a rewire and conversion to Digital Control for a USATrains G Gauge BigBoy.

I have a quiery regarding the four sensor units which are connected and wired into the engine.  My  control system comprises

a  ZIMO MX695KV  engine decoder together with a Pheonix PB11 sound decoder and all sounds are triggered via speed (voltage)

initiation in the controller.

Since the sensors exist it would be good to utilise them to trigger sounds.

Can anyone advise what each of the sensors (cylindrical 2-3inch long encased in a tube) which are sited as follows:

1) A- the wiring emerges together with the front pickup wiring in the forward part of the engine.

2) B- the wiring emerges together with the rear pickup wiring in the rear portion of the engine.

3&4 C&D) - the wiring for two sensors emerges on their own  from the centre portion of the engine

Any information would be appreciated

Pommanz (Mike  Lisle)

Hi Mike and welcome.  

I'm not sure which (forward or rear) triggers which sounds but my guess is one is for the whistle and the other is for the bell.

http://www.usatrains.com/pdf/bigboymanual.pdf- Copy of owners manual for reference which I'm sure you have (but does not specifically indicate which is which)

Hi Mike,

Two of the sensors (reed switches) are the chuff sensors. You may only need one for your sound card. I tried both in parallel and that didn't work at all because the "on" part of the cycle is far too long. Hook up an ohmeter and push the engine back and forth to figure out which is which. I think they are the front and back most wires, but depending on how the wires are routed it's best to double check.

The other two can be used for sound triggers from magnets on the track. I don't use them, but look at your Phoenix manual for how to wire them up.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.