Question on OLD [new to me] Lionel Large

Kountry Mailman

I just bought a Lionel Large Pennsy G P 9 that says Trainmaster Command Ready #8-85014.  Of course I got no instruction book and cannot find much on line.  Had very poor performance when put on layout so I am cleaning wheels and trying   to re-lube the 4 can motors. Must some remote be used to get any sound out of this engine or only after upgrading do you get sound?  A instruction update on Lionel site says it requires a full wave rectified, unfiltered DC power.   How do I know that's what I am supplying?  Also does anyone know where I might find an instruction manual?  Really any all response on this

• 2 months later...

I just gutted out all the sound board electronics and it is now working nicely. But I have a violent wheel woble that can't be corrected. I have ordered some NW Short lines wheelsets to re place the original wheels, I hope this solves the problem. I will probably have to machine the bushes to bring them to the right inside diameter for a push fit. Will report when that has been done, the engine otherwise can be made into a quite nice and accurate 1/32 scale GP9. It was Garry Raymond who did a feature on it way back in Outdoor Railroader magazine.