KD Barber S2 trucks!

enginear joe

In the new GR mag is a review of some new 1/29 scale trucks from KD. I did not see them on the KD site? So I was excited to read that they are releasing some new trucks. I'm looking for metal trucks to add weight and better tracking on large trains than the plastic trucks do. They have a list price of $49.99 and have spinning end caps so they grabbed my attention. I've scanned the article twice now and I feel it's missing the most important thing for me. What type of bearing surface is used? I imagine that it's a bushing of some type (bronze?)?? It would be great if they were actual roller bearings. It does say the side frames have the springs casted in place. I don't see if they're 70 or 100 ton models either?

It does say the trucks are equalized. It also says that they come with adapters to mount on different brands.

I'll be watching for their actual release.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

I got one set of these to see how well they're built and how they roll. Right now being brand new, they roll as if they have roller bearings inside. Extremely well rolling, and fairly heavy. That's two big pluses for me.

It's different how they are put together or built. They have two halves (split bolster design) that work to keep the trucks rolling free and adjusting over bumps in the track. I've never seen a truck design quite like this. I worried about it but so far so good.

I will see how they hold up and then order more. They seem ideal for my LGB modern tank cars. I have not checked the actual size of the wheels for scale.