New to the hobby, trying to build a simple garden train for my son

dustinstroh

Thank you all for allowing me to post my question so easily.  I am looking to build a simple layout in the backyard using a dogbone with 2 reverse loops.  I need some help.  I don't fully understand the reverse loops (can I get them automated, does the switch need to be thrown as the trains passes, ect.) 

Also what suggestions do you have for a first locomotive and power supply?

My bugget is tight (aren't they always)  but I did have some success with a gofundme page to help out, as my son has special needs and this is more of a therapy than it is for all of us to enjoy.

Thanks for your help

gofund.me/DayvedStroh

Hi Dustin, welcome.

What area in feet do you have to work with?  As far as the engine and train it sounds like you are wanting to go with something small and simple.  In a situation like that I would go with either an LGB or Bachmann starter set.  They will come with some track and a basic power supply to run that engine.  (the main item of use would be the engine cars and power supply)

LGB: http://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/72426.html 

Bachmann:  http://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/B90037.html 

For track I would go with Stainless Steel rail (Polks Generation Next has some now avail and HR Trains also has it.  Not sure if any AML is) with split jaw stainless steel direct to rail clamps.

On the reversing loop you can get them where they are automated but I have never deployed one so I dont have any information on them to share.  It will require a box containing electronics that will need to remain water proof over the years and in my opinion long term I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.  I would look to see if you could design the layout such that you just use a return straight away as opposed to trying to use the same straight for both directions.  Eliminates the electronics, complication and chance of problems or failure down the road.

Thanks!  The total run will be the dogbone connected with about about 24' of track connecting them.

I see what you are saying with the reverse loop.  All the electronics will be housed inside a nearby shed, so only the wires powering the track will see the elements, but I will look at running a return rail vs the reverse loop.  Again I don't have exp with G scale.  He has an O scale in his room (around the ceiling) and I grew up on HO scale so this all similar, but very different at the same time.

I like the dogbone pictured above vs the loop to loop, I just didn't want to double back with all the extra track.  Also I am looking to run the train on top of landscape timbers around my sitting area.  See terrible pic I created with paint:)

I will look closer tonight and see if I can double back on the track, or maybe a fig 8 with the small circle in the lower right pic and the big one going around the entire sitting area

post-1226-0-03761000-1461179902_thumb.pn

Hi neighbor! As a very recent addition to the G-Scale crowd, Raymond and others here have been extremely helpful. I'm starting off with a simple 8' loop of SS track (indoors), Bridgewerks Controller, 12 gauge wiring, SS over the rail clamps, and DCS/TIU/WIU. My first engine just arrived. And BTW, I live in Bellevue... :)

Since you already have O-gauge; why not try O-gauge tracks on the timber around the sitting area (and into the shed) to get a feel for it. Depending on the answers on my new post about outdoor O-gauge, it might not be just for a temporary test. The downside is that you will not get to learn the new things. The upside is that you can use what you have and will only have one kind of rosters. Another good thing is that you won’t have the polarity issue if the O-gauge is 3-rail. Yet another point to mention is the space needed for a loop.

An O-gauge (1:48 scale) 72†curve will require, for the same appearance of the train:
108†if OneGauge (1:32)
153.6†If LGB/Bachmann Big Haulers (1:22.5)
170.25†If Bachmann Spectrum (1:20.3)

Jim Miller gave a reference in my thread “Any O-gauge outdoor layouts?â€. I suggest that you read that article even if you don’t want to go for O-gauge.  If you do, it will save money and space. You will also have so much more to choose from.

Hi Sean,

Is there a similar plan using 8' diameter curves and no need for cutting track sections?

I just found the pic on the web as an example  .. So to your question There might be