New MTH direction

enginear joe

I was truly hoping for more releases in this catalog from MTH. I had heard that a new diesel was coming. I prefer modern stuff. I had hoped for more to buy. I really hope they would consider releasing premier level details in G gauge. Their cars need to step up in detailing. I like their hoppers and the TOFCs. The tank cars get painted for an older model and newer ones. I like them overall and even ordered some. They look just like Railking O gauge tank cars. Just a little refinement would make a world of difference. 

They don't have much in modern rolling stock. So if they do release a newer diesel, I'm hoping for a modern bigger box car or something with better modern detailing to go with it.

I can't say for sure but I would guess that until the economy fully turns around that we won't be seeing big catalogs like they were releasing at first.  I just heard that even Lionel didn't produce a fall catalog this year which is like a first time thing?  With Aristocraft going under I think it underscores just how bad sales tanked in this scale and the higher price points (which I think is partly related to smaller production run quantities) is only going to slow sales down even further.  Looks like there are some signs of the economy coming back to life so the worst may be behind us.  On the detail, I have to take a close look at some of the rolling stock I got in, but my first thought has been that it all looks far better than I thought it would.  I have really been impressed with what I have seen through the box windows.  As far as new production items (not produced in prior runs), they are going to have to see that sales are recovering before committing I'm sure.  The fact they announced another catalog at all probably tells me that MTH at least has seen good enough sales to think it worth giving it a try.  We are basically down to USA Trains and MTH for mainline rolling stock and engines, not the situation we would have hoped for but hopefully with the smaller number of companies left they will benefit from increased sales further strengthening them both.

Why dabble around? They had to have sold a decent amount of totals in G scale. If it was just the Triplex that convinced them the market was down, they should take another look. Plenty of other stuff is selling out there.

G scale is so spread out in what people want and run, I imaging it's tuff to guess what to make next and what will sell in big numbers. All I know is there is plenty of stuff in modern freight that is missing from G scale. Guys had to scratch build cars and engines to get something new. MTH's lineup to me, favors the older eras. The dash 8 line was a solo release that never got any follow up.

In business, you have only so much capital available for investment and to maximize profits (which is what keeps you in business) you have to focus the bulk of those resources that will provide the quickest turn-around on your investment.  It's easy for us to want, but those with the responsibility of keeping a business above water have to make these kinds of decisions.  It's very clear just how bad our market was hit with the economy and things are still not that great, only just seeing some positive signs but things are still pretty anemic.  This isn't something that applies to just MTH but to all.  It could also be that if they are producing a lower quantity of engines/cars in these next production runs it could be they are testing the market at these higher price points (higher price points because of lower overall quantities).

I agree there are many holes that could be filled with new products.  If the sales are there, they will make the product you can be sure of that.  Why?  Cause they will know money is to be made there.  If the sales aren't then you can be sure they won't be quick to roll more new exciting stuff any time soon.  

We had a core group viciously attack and criticize Aristocraft for years for what they 'weren't doing', now they are out of business.  So with so much emphasis placed on the 'wrongs' we can see where it has led us.  We are now without one of THE major players that produced product for our hobby.  We have all lost.  My point is I would encourage everyone to be patient with the remaining mfgs in this scale (not just MTH) and understand they have reasons for holding off on new product creation.  We all want new product and you can be sure they want to sell it to us, but the sales have to be there or there is no basis to produce it.  I'm sure MTH will roll out something new in steam (which is what I'm really wanting and waiting for) in the future, just a matter of time.

Re-issuing the Big Boy with #4014 would probably be a good seller. Since they have the molds/etc. Plus, with Aristo shutting down, they could fill that void some with increased advertising. Big ads in GR would be good.

• 1 year later...

I like steam models especially real steam models but when an interesting model comes along in electric it can interest me. In my oppinion (by that I mean that I may be wrong), I sincerly think that turning out the triplex was a commercial mistake, however interesting a prototype it was (And I am an amateur of compound locomotives), it was an unsuccessfull design that only had a short working life and was a sort of freak engine. It only ran on the Erie; the Virginian ones were a totally different loco with smaller drivers and many other differences. I would like them to come out with locos that really ran up a large class of locomotives on a railroad were they were known to have done a lot of work, and be representative of a succesfull class. A Van Sweringen, berkshire, or 611 or an AT&SF 4-8-4 or Santa Fe (or both), a PRR J1, a N&W Y class, a NYC Mohawk or Niagara, or for a period loco a B&0 old Maud or a DSP&P mallet for instance (this would be very beneficial as the trains on the Moffat road were short (like narrow gauge) and the curvature and grades more like most garden pikes). Or some Mikados or even decapods of many railroads, or again a USRA design. I sincerly feel this mistake had more to do with the low sales perhaps  more than the economic down turn. Of course this is justr one man's oppinion.

Aster makes one right now in live steam Jerry, if your curves are about ten foot radius or over it should run on your pike, Aster models are expensive but the quality is there, beleive me, I just got a high end electric brass model of a French prototype this winter, very, very expensive and the quality compared with Aster stinks (So I won't mention the brand name)! Aster models are very good quality for your money. And so far they have kept their value quite well over inflation. They run very sweetly too.

Thanks but not sure you should. It was a bigger money pit than my 56 Roadmaster(since sold).  Car paint is $537 a gallon for that red, about a hundred more than basic colors. Then you need thinner, hardener, clear/etc......

• 2 months later...

Great looking car Jerry, it reminds me of the days when I lived in the USA. I guess it's just a question of where your priorities are, for me it's definitly my railroad. Cars are just a convenient way to get around and I spend only what it takes to do that. But if a FEF is what you are after (it should be as you have scratch built one.), think about live steam. Not only are Asters made of high quality but they are also very well detailed and proportioned. You will see it right away and enjoy at last a model that doesnt look different than the prototype. Which cannot be said about many other manufacturers in G scale. This is also why I advocate wide radius curves in the garden, most real locomotives needed curves of at least 360' radius to turn onto, at restricted speeds in engine terminals, wyes and junctions. That's about 11' radius  in 1/32 scale. And as Asters are very closer to the prototype they need these kinds of curves to operate on. The diference is that on those radiusses we dont have to fight inertia and can sail through them at track speed, which of course the prototype couldn't (they would tip over likely). besides other advantages are nicer, much nicer aspect (especially with articulateds), smoother performance and much less drag meaning you can run longer trains. I have no links with Aster (usual disclaimer) and much the same could be said about Accucraft locos.

Well just a thought because I think you really like the FEF. Take care and congratulation for the restoration.

Well, I am paying Ray now for the new Big Boy, doubt I'd go for another Challenger, mine seems to be fine as it is, I have the gray one and use it with my passenger cars.  I do have to keep a brass strip across the back to push in on the sound plug, can't seem to get it to work right.

Jerry, you have a broken solder joint on one of the pins for the speaker circuits on the socket where the tender plug fits in.  

Need to drop the frame, and reheat where the pins solder to the board.  Be careful and dont create cross shorts.

http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Challenger_mods.htm#Tender_plug_repair