Wanted; MDC 2-Bay Coal Hoppers

Chuck

Piko units are the same.

Oh I know and Trainland has some good prices on them right now but I'm looking for the older Made in America MDC as I'm putting together a long all USA Made train.

Chuck,

If you have any duplicates you want to sell, I might be interested in some.

jerry

Jerry, I'll keep you in mind but right now my stock on them is low...and to think at one time I had 132 of them  :)

Jerry, Right as I've meet the owner at the local monthly trainshow. I sold him some of the ribbed hopper bodies as he was in short supply a few years back but now it seems that they're out of business? My bookmark for mainlineamerica.com is dead and a Google search brings up nothing. He is selling some MDC parts under the highrail_engineer1 name on eBay and I've sent him emails but I never get a reply.

Now 2 years ago he claimed to have gotten the old MDC molds out of Hungary and that they were in Indiana but I think that was just wishful thinking. It's too bad if he did go under as he had some 1:32 locomotive molds he was working on as he had a machine shop that did the tool & die work. Last year I was speaking with him about possibly making a extrusion mold for 1:32 bi-level passenger cars out of aluminum...the cars that Amtrak and some commuter lines use. Would have been all USA Made cars. 

I seen one MDC Lackawanna hopper and that was it. Smooth side offset style that was painted grey and he had the later style Roundhouse box for it. Was at our local monthly trainshow running on a display layout. I asked the young guy that was running the display about it and he said it was his dad's and he was somewhere at the show. Kid wouldn't put a price on it and said his dad would be upset if he sold it. I should have offered the kid $100.00 for it as I've never seen one since.  

Jerry, You have his email addy handy as I lost it last year when my hard drive crashed?

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry, I suppose I could but I'd much rather collect the factory version. Decals just don't look like factory heat pad printing but I have heard of using vinyl decals as a mask. First paint the color you want the lettering then apply vinyl decals then give your model the finish color/s you want. When done remove the vinyl decals and there you have painted lettering. New decals to me are printed on too thick of a clear paper...they don' like settling down over rivets and such...maybe it's the way the ink is built up that causes problems compared to the old way of say MicroScale made their decals via silkscreen?? I just don't know.

• 2 months later...

• 6 months later...

Hi friends:

The Erie Lackawana is not the Lackawana car, if it ever was produced, it was probably black with white lettering. I too would be interested, I have an E-L one but am modeling the PRR before the end of steam in 1957, so would much prefer a Lackawana one, I would be ready to swap it for one. I made some PRR hoppers from old MDC ones using the transfers now offered by Ozarks miniature they made a very nice model. Once transfered just spray somme satin or flat varnish or DDV over it and it will stay on very well. I don't mind the E-L one as I have fond memories of riding the E-L out of Hoboken terminal when I was studying in the big apple in the seventies. it was a great comuter operation then, with E8, MUs and a great terminal.

It should be noted by 1/32 fans that Piko is apparently making a big effort to produce these ex MDC cars in authetic or very near authentic paint and lettering schemes, which wasn't the case a few years ago (for instance I never bought their PRR hopper because it was black (modern times) but it also had the big keystone with a red background which modern PRR black hoppers never had... now I don't want to start a polemic, as I feel the buy america first policy is the right thing to do, and that we Europeans should adopt it also, but if we wan't them to produce them again with correct liveries, don't you think we should encourage them a little? their B&0 hopper is near correct (I am not sufficiently B&O proficient to say if the capitol  logo ever was placed on hoppers, but spraying some black over that would make it practically right). The Reading one announced is just the same as the MDC one, their B&0 Time saver service and their NYC pacemaker service box cars are accurate, and so is their new Reading box car... I think this should be encouraged, apparently it is as I see the B&O box car is sold out already! They are also producing the covered hopper again ... They also sell spare parts, very handy for the scratch builder and to restore or repair older MDC ones. Usual disclaimer.