Bachmann Rail Truck

Screwy Nick

Poor thing sat on the shelf for a long time.  Brought it down to run it and as happens with many locos with plastic gears, the pinion gear was cracked.  A while ago another person had the same problem and bought a variety of gears.  He sent me one that was close to what was in there.  I massaged it till it fit and ran nice and smooth.  First is test fitting, last is complete and trotting around the track on 12V of NiCad power.  

Head lamp conversation. While the yellow ones supplied were more to the period I wanted them bright enough to be seen in daylight. Used Evans LED's as theirs have very thin wire right up to the LED. Extracted the bezel/bracket from the housing and enlarged the hole to the same diameter of the lighted part of the LED. Painted the hole Chrome to match as it is made of black plastic. Filed the back wider and thinner so the LED fit and was closer to the lens, also make room for the excess wire. Just need to coat the exposed wire with black liquid tape and the lenses are just press fit, eyes had it for today. 

El9wu4fwTiKJmWZSt95e4g.jpg

DSCN0013.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG

On 10/10/2021 at 6:37 AM, Screwy Nick said:

Phewwww, thought I had lost even more grey matter, need all I got.   and OMG, I have a follower, didn't know.  Was inspired to also swap out the head lamp LED's, but not sure the eyes will cooperate, we'll 'see'.  

You have the comments turned off on your YouTube site ... You would know when someone makes a comment..

eyes had it for today.  ,, It's the bright LEDs ...:Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_large(24x24):

I can't take credit for finding the gear.  Seems a lot of them failed, Bachmann ran out of replacements real quick. It also uses the same bevel gears for the rear end, which also cracked or stripped as people tried to pull a box car which was just too much for the little gears.  Several people found different sources for similar gears.  The ones I got needed minor adjustment to the over all size and the hole had to be made bigger, but with 2 flats. Guy on another forum sent me a sample and I sent for more to have on hand as I do expect a future trip down the same lane. 

Sean, I went to Utube to see if I could see what you were talking about  how to turn on or off comments.   I must have touched something.  A few hours ago I was notified by Email that you made a comment?  First time that ever happened, and have no idea what I may have done to cause that.  And YES, Bug does love his treats, some more than others.   

Sean, I have seen the icon that looks like a pencil, and thought that was for me to explain the video, have done that.  The link you posted for support gave instructions on how to adjust comments from others.  I also noticed that when posted as OK for Children there is some kind of restrictions.  Going in and try to make change, let ya know. 

EDIT:  this old dog just got thrashed by the Utube site for the past hour.  While the directions to the support site was a big help, after that I got no where.  Just to give you an example of what I am dealing with, I first had to look up what a 'thumbnail' was, it was all down hill after that.  Not finding what I am directed to, and so afraid of destroying what is there, I just left it alone.  So this old dog is limited as to what it can learn.  I do appreciate your help and confidence in me.  May try again later, but for now will just lick my wounds and be happy I haven't destroyed my channel totally.