UP Challenger News

Jerry B44

Buddy of mine was in the Cheyenne roudhouse lately and saw the steam engines. Here's what he said about the Challenger.

The Challenger is sitting in the roundhouse.  The loco is on one track, and the tender is next to it.  It will be down for a couple of years while they do an FRA mandated check of the boiler. I think they said it was the 15 year inspection, so they will have to take the jacket off the boiler and give it a good inspection.  Not sure if they have to change the flues or not.  I think 4014 will have to have the same inspection before it can be placed in service.

In the mean time, old 844 is going to be the workhorse of the steam program!  I had so much fun being close to that machine!  I was amazed at the incredible attention to detail.  There are a few places on the boiler jacket that have fixtures that go thru the insulation so they can pull a plug and inspect the boiler.  Even these sockets are chrome plated!  I think I surprised the guy that worked there, since I knew a lot about the steam engine.

post-49-0-36483500-1394134425.jpg

Well I wonder why 3985 has been sitting for the last 2 years instead of being out on mainline steam where it should have been? Maybe it's because of a certain ego that doesn't want to use the Steve Lee Challenger and/ or there is nobody left to do the repairs that it needs?? I think that it's both but I hope that I'm wrong. 

I know of folks in the inner circle with regards to steam and they're betting on whether or not the blinged out (sic) 844 steams this year.  

As of today there is no 2014 schedule posted for 844 http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/details.shtml

Jerry do you know how often they give tours?  Is it a set schedule or?  At some point Im going to visit at the very least will wait till the 4014 is there so I can get to see it in person.  Can't wait!  Especially to see all those engines in one place.  Makes me wonder where the 6936 is stored...