Frog juicer

Dash 8

Ok, no one has an idea or experience, doesn't matter, I repair the relay, analog is rather my thing. I suspect a cold solder joint, or too little voltage, the relay does not work reliably, switch motor and relay for the Frog work in parallel with 12 volts DC. Problem for me, I have to climb under the system....

Regards

Jan

Jan, no experience with that particular board.  I use straight DC track power and my frogs are all still powered by the micro switch/relay that is under the turnout.  Been out doors since 07 and have only had 1 failure, not due to weather, the rubbing point on the switch/relay just wore out, replaced with same.  Earlier post didn't mention you were having problems with it, but it does sound like you have a good grasp on the possible causes.  

After doing a bit of research the Juicer(s) are rather interesting but not ready for use in the DCS world. Wired as shown in your drawing will result in severe DCS signal degradation. Installing a 22uH choke/ inductor on each wire between juicer and rail would help but they'd have to be rather large or at same rating or higher than the load the Juicer is carrying. 

I'd speculate the reason why it doesn't work reliably is because it's designed for use with the DCC AC sine wave as opposed to straight DC. And is to be wired on the DCC Buss which is a steady 24 - 30V in large scale? 

Chuck and Nick

Thanks for the assessment, I do not want to experiment, the risk is too high for me, as I said I will try to repair, this has worked for years.

Regards

Jan 

Greets to Bug