Ceramic Burner

Screwy Nick

Yes, have 2 projects going at the same time, but they are related.  The video of the turbine on live steam can clearly hear the alcohol burner roaring.  Can only compare it to an F4 revving up getting ready to be shot off the deck. Want the whine of the turbine to be heard.  Purchased a BIX 009 burner and it arrived Friday.  Set it up according to directions, and am very disappointed as can see.

711853233_yhvVc8VhTiWOPGuUopFFg.thumb.jpg.00657d46f905a48d80604e725cd8bfba.jpg

First tried another #5 I have, same look. Substituted the #5 jet that they recommended with the jet that is in the Brunel, that gives a beautiful bunch of blue tips, much better.  

644307945_tvnjQM0SxuL2P39g23HxA.thumb.jpg.38eeb85558ed15dee48f497739d4f8e6.jpgi

Sent seller info and pics, I'm sure we can solve the problem.   

Very sorry, this is the response I got from Mini Steam, very disappointed.

"Hello
I have forwarded your email to the manufacturer. I am not sure I can get a different jet with different results. I think they had to find a new machine shop for the jets and that might be as good as it gets now."  When I asked exactly what that means, I go no response.  

When I ordered the burner I found on Amazon a supplier for the ceramic used in the Buddy Burner which is a higher temp ceramic and ordered a piece, so have plenty to play with.  Right now I am working with the air intake and gas distribution within the box.

They may have given up, but I didn't.  Put the #5 jet they recommended back in.  Drilled more holes to allow more air, cut a piece of the ceramic designed for the Buddy Burner and DO DA.  Would like to open the air holes a bit more and seal around the ceramic.  (gears came yesterday).  924033717_0yybYBvSeGZNQwM8tAY6w.thumb.jpg.a6cbf6f0e877536264be81172dd76e47.jpg

Fashioned a cap adaptor to connect the burner to the boiler. Works when lit then slid into the boiler, not sure I can light it from the stack yet.  It also has a small viewing hole to make sure the burner is lit and adjusted correct. Small nut on top for the securing screw, have my doubts about that holding. Soldered in hot areas and used JB Professional in the cooler area.

EDIT:  As with all things 'trial & error' got to expect some :Smiling_Devil_Emoji_large(24x24): visits.  Jet neck was out of alignment, so ground it out and repositioned it.   This time I used JB Extreme Heat, supposed to be good to 1,000'F.  ybqinuhOQW28ikOtk1fJbg.thumb.jpg.502654bcc7ba0caea3eacf67e90fc78e.jpgl045LekaTqCIXokldHpSwQ.thumb.jpg.0cc50503a1cdbcf8d7ce1ba41f56920c.jpg

I think I am going to call it a success.  Decided not to wait till it failed during a real run, so resistance soldered the nut to the adapter.  Cleaned it up some, lit it outside the boiler and slid it in.  Only let it run for a little while as the JB High Temp needs to cure more.  I believe this will supply enough continuous steam for the turbine.

4GfijWZ5R1uJUxx9wY6DXA.thumb.jpg.30523ba6f322e868da96a452fe073bfe.jpg39zxxO92QUiTYP5AMbbvEw.thumb.jpg.49d02c0e5048288b0b92253358bf92a6.jpg1698511737_2VndHDDWTv6m6hI8myFnw.thumb.jpg.6c8a9f0ceac93194b3aa080af2b77999.jpg

This test went quite well, and I learned something about ceramic burners.  It was bringing the initial pressure up, glowing red then I heard a POP, it started to roar and the pressure stopped rising.  To add to that a stream of smoke was coming out of the stack.  'now I done it'.  Found that the burner flashed back and the flame was actually below the ceramic, and the puff of smoke was the paint burning off the burner housing. The view hole showed a very dim red.  Shut the gas off momentarily then turned it back on, it ignited immediately.  Shortly it did it again, so I adjusted for less air.  The ceramic was still bright red, but I also had a few blue tips.  Even with a steam leak at the hose it was able to maintain 40 lbs steam pressure, turn the turbine which turned the wheels on the power truck.  Thought I had more water in the boiler and gas in the tank than I did so the test was short.  Now to start playing with the gears on the Turbine.  Thank You

The BIX 009 was for test purposes, length is far short of what could fit.  Got a 14 burner from Mini and they recommend a #8 jet which is coming form Forest Classics  in UK.  Being impatient I wanted to see what it would look like using a #5.  This is the initial lighting before any adjustments, like what I see.  Since I have to cut off about 3/4 of an inch of this burner the #5 may do the trick when all is said and done.  wkf850HKSle5iJHBxbwloQ.thumb.jpg.57867e674aa895c6e987c8e1090837fc.jpg

Here is the BIX 14 with 1" removed to make it fit into the B3 boiler.  This is using a #5 jet.  I stumbled on this adhesive, on the shelf in utility room.  I have been using this for many years on my wood stove, which is the primary heat for my house so it is in use all winter.  JB Extreme heat is good for 1K'F and needs 24 hours curing time.  This is no mix, air dry and in 30 minutes hardened and is ready for heat. Going to try to use it to stick handrails that came loose on a loco. I'm not a photo guy so attached is a video of the burner.  None of the stills I took show the ceramic burner red only the surrounding flame??? 1052327673_xqy7Jf7ISEyiOnnnjG79w.thumb.jpg.0e1e5ebb7caeee989ad2af6cf0eb979e.jpg