EMC E1A project

rbrown7713

I thought I would share this with you.  For the E6, I am making the number boards and cut out these on my laser.  This is just the start, they have to be smoothed and I have to make a mold.  I am surprised how accurate the laser is.  These are just slightly over 1 inch long.

IMG_1668.JPG

OK, I should have more clear.  The 3d printed part of the front of the loco. is going to be used to make 2 different loco's.  The front, or pilot, on the E1 and the E6 are very close in appearance.  So, the number board that I am modelling is for the E6, and I haven't yet decided on a road.  Bob. 

E6 number board.jpg

Here is the mold for the E6 number boards. Next, I will have to order some urethane plastic.  It is taking time to sculpt the front of the loco, as the print didn't project the real look of the prototype, after comparing photos, so it will take some time to shape.  After listening to many 3d printer experts, they say that PLA  plastic is not compatible with exposure to the sun, so if anyone makes a model from a 3d printer, one should use ABS, or PETG, or some other filament that is more suitable to UV resistance.  I am using PLA  because I am making molds from these PLA  parts and will make them from Urethane which has a better resistance to UV effects.  Bob.

IMG_1670.JPG

In case anyone is interested in this engraving procedure, the plastic is Trotec Trolase black/white 2 ply 1/16th" sheets from Amazon.  The laser used is an Xtool D1 pro, settings were speed, 400mm/min., and power is 10%.  I found that due to my inexperience in cutting, it messes up the edges because of the higher power needed, it is better for me to cut it with a Dremmel grinder, that is the reason for the outside lines. Also, an added bonus is that an led light behind the numbers will shine through the white and light them up. Bob.

IMG_1676.JPG