My USA Trains Big Boy

Louis

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I'm new to G Scale and I dove in head first!  I started with a Christmas Train Set, by USA Trains, purchased locomotives off EBay, and I'm now thinking of suspending a track from the ceiling..., still thinking!

My topic today is my Big Boy Locomotive, it's awesome to say the least, and it's HEAVY HEAVY!.  I purchased my Big Boy back in 2018 / 2019, couldn't do anything with it back then, was very busy with life, but I owned a Big Boy!  Now I have some time to mess with my Locomotive and begin enjoying it, and I really like the detail, and can't wait to run it!

Why so long, you say?  It's a long story, but life is Grand now!

Taking it out of the box is a chore, to say the least, then getting it off the shipping board, without damaging it, was not easy either!  I managed to get this guy on some track, then I found a piece of metal, had fallen off.  I can see there's a broken machine screw, but where this part goes, is beyond me.  I can't see anything missing on the sides, it must be from underneath, I'll flip him upside down, and see where it fell from.

As far a a parts breakdown goes, is there such a document for the USA Trains Big Boy?   Something that shows all the parts???

Anyway, my plan for now is to test run my Locomotive on rollers, making sure He runs as needed!  Attached is the piece that broke off, and a picture of my Locomotive!

Thanks for now, glad to be a member!!!!

Louis      

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

Big Boy Locomotive.jpg

Thanks for the responses!

Here's some more pictures of my Locomotive, underneath.  Another piece of damage, I found, is underneath the second drive system.  If you look just right of the shipping bolt hole, there's two protrusions that house something from the inside.  Almost looks like two fuses??  The plastic molding, that's supporting these two "things" were tore off.  One is just about completely gone, the other is partially retaining the "thing" inside.

Maybe you experts can identify what these are and let me know.  The manual that came with my Locomotive doesn't show this at all.

I did, I think, found where the piece of metal came from.  It came from the very front, underneath the Porch, see attached photo.  In the photo, you can see attachment points, of something missing.  Also, the metal piece, "broke off spots", line up with these.  Can't see anywhere else this piece cam from.  There's suppose to be two of these, one on each side, both are broke off, only found one piece.  I'll look in the box, one more time, maybe it's there somewhere. 

I think what happened was, maybe, this model was on display, at the store, and, I was told it was the last one, too.  I'm thinking when it was packed up, things got damaged.  The washers that support the model on the "wood shelf", in the box, are big fender type washers, maybe their Allen wrench, or a tool, brushed across these things, damaged them, and box shipped.

So, now I'm wondering if I can get replacement parts from USA Trains????  I did find a replacement Porch, at Charles Ro, maybe I can get that piece, hopefully contains the missing metal "covers", and then see about the second drive system replacement????

Again, Glad to be a member!  Thanks for your comments

Louis

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

Hey Brian!

No worries Sir, this Heavy Behemoth will not be on the ceiling rail, it would bring the house down!  I'll do something outside for the Big Boy! 

Thanks 

Louis 

16 minutes ago, Louis said:

Hey Brian!

No worries Sir, this Heavy Behemoth will not be on the ceiling rail, it would bring the house down!  I'll do something outside for the Big Boy! 

Thanks 

Louis 

Good choice. I was running the FEF on the basement floor, basic loop with no scenery but the weather is constant and engine weight was no factor, lol.

Good luck on fixing up the engine, hopefully Charlesro has the parts you need, they will be pricey if they still have them so be prepared for that.

Brian

I don't have this engine, but....

those fuse like things look like the old track activation switches that blow the whistle or ring the bell when they go over a magnet in the track.

There are guys here who have rebuilt this engine and should chime in shortly......

Thanks Brian / Engineer Joe!

Makes sense now, that it's some sort of proximity switch / sensor!  I guess this will have now impact on running the Locomotive.  Also, the switches may work with no problem.

I saw another post about the Big Boy Saga!  In these photos, of this posting, I saw the parts, intact on that model, that are broken off on mine.  Also read about things being wired wrong!!!!!  Oh my God, I hope my Locomotive doesn't go up in smoke on the initial run!!!!!

Thanks Again, Both of you for your responses

Louis 

Good Morning Y'all!

Well, I found the replacement parts for my Big Boy, and Chuck, you were right!  It is the compressors, left and right!  Brian, you were right too!  these replacement parts are pricey...WOW!

I'll get the parts and bring my Big Boy up to snuff!  Now I need to unbox the Tender.  I'll post a picture of the repair and Locomotive with Tender soon.

Thanks for all the input Sirs!!!!

Louis

Glad that Ro had the parts! Few years ago when the parts guy Mike was there spares had better prices. After Ro Sr. passed away then that Mike retired. 

Hey, You can remove the whole boiler top with cab by removing 4 phillips head screws located under 2 hatches. Put a pile of towels or blankets next to engine that are built up to say running board height. Remove the 4 screws and lift whole boiler top off and roll over and set on towels. Be careful as the wires for marker and number boards don't have a lot of slack. After you have that off you can unplug those wires and set out of the way. After that's removed you can roll engine over a lot easier to work on the bottom. It also makes engine lighter to "carry".

Seems there is only a few screws and you can remove front engine pilot then you can work on the compressors really easy! Just keep an eye on the headlight wires. The USA Trains die-cast engines are really some of the easiest to work on!

Have fun!

Thanks Chuck!

I'll dive into this repair as soon as I get the replacement parts.  I'll look the boiler over and find the screws you mentioned.

This Locomotive model is really HEAVY!  I was wondering how other folks work on these monsters!  Your method sounds awesome and I should be able to complete the job per your advice.

Again, thanks to you ALL!  Glad to be onboard!

Louis 

Hey Chuck!

I found the four screws you're talking about, are these them?  The two screws, for the control panel hatches, do these need to be removed as well?  Looks like the hatches are part of the boiler cover, reason I'm asking Sir.

Then the other two screws are forward towards the front

When I get the parts, X4012 will go to the shop!

Thanks Again

Louis

Hatch 1.jpg

Hatch 1b.jpg

Hatch 2.jpg

Hi Louis, Just the two biggest headed screws under each hatch. The control panels with switches stay with the engine. Come to think of it there is no wires to mess with when pulling boiler top as all those connections use springs and contact pads. Only real thing to watch is the handrails where they go thru the running boards at the front. When reassembling they're never in the right position and can scratch the paint. Black felt tip marker makes for easy touch-up painting of paint chips and scratches. 

Those are a beast of an engine and hope you got it for a decent price! I'll bet if USA makes them again they'll be over $5K...heck the new Lionel Big Boys that are shipping cost $2,800.00 or more!