3D printing a UH1D Huey on my new Banbu X1C

rbrown7713

Since I bought this printer, I thought it is about time to build a model of the helicopter that I flew in Nam.  This printer is amazing.  Using PAHT CF, a nylon and carbon fiber mix, you can't see any lines, almost like a resin print.  I bought this model online and re scaled it to 1:18 from 1:48.  There is a million parts to print, but it is fun.  I can really recommend this printer because it is so easy to print with, litterally, load your file, slice it, push print, unbelievable.  I am printing two parts at the same time right now, Bob. 

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

Size: 256mmx256mmx256mm, about 10 inches cubed.  Very easy to scale, by measurement, just plug in the size in mm., or change the percentage size, push enter and that's it, done. It uses .stl files.  I was a CW2 Pilot, and when I got back, I was an instructor pilot for 2 years and then got out. I flew 1120 hours in Nam, and was very lucky. Bob.

Thank you for your service Bob. That is a very impressive amount of hours especially in combat like that!

Keep posting pictures as you go, it's a very interesting project. 

I cant wait till someone makes a 1:29 scale union pacific auxiliary tender, 3D printing I feel is the only option, no manufacturers will make it. I dont have much experience with 3d printing but I feel that is where g scale is moving too.  Have a collection of files and then print your cars you want. Just need a easy way to paint and have pad printed markings instead of decals.

Brian

I appreciate that.  Yes, I felt as if I was flying all of the time.  Here is my experience with pad printing.  I bought a pad printer, modified it from an open well to a closed well and proceeded to learn the method, but after many attempts, I quickly figured out that the pad printing system is for producing many parts in rapid succession.  If you just hesitate for a second too long, the ink dries on the plate.  There has to be a rapid movement of picking up the ink and placing it on the part and found that just producing one part without the rapid sequence of movement didn't work out for me, so I went back to making decals, or actually printing with a cnc directly on the locomotives.  You can see some videos on YouTube, search my channel: omiateeful   and you will see some videos of my printing, still a work in progress. As far as the tender goes, you might find an stl file on the web, or you could learn a 3d drawing program and draw your own.  It takes some patience to learn to 3d draw, but, very rewarding.  There are a few good free programs out there, better than  paying a lot of money.  Fusion 360 is one of them as well as Blender.  I am trying to learn Blender, with great difficulty.  Remember, if you find an stl or obj file, even if it is HO scale, you can rescale it to 1:29 easily, especially with this Bambu X1C with just clicking on a few buttons. Bob.

11 hours ago, rbrown7713 said:

Hey Brian, here is the picture of the tender, sorry it is 1:32, but can you use it? You could stretch it out, if you need 1:29.  Bob.

IMG_1701.JPG

Bob,

That is really nice of you to offer, but I think you should keep or sell it as is. Its worth some money as is and I am sure there are some southern pacific fans that would love to buy and extra tender as is.

Brian

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...