Using MTH's TIU outside.

Jerry B44

I was having signal problems with the TIU being in the garage with the transformer.  Following Ray's suggestion I moved it outside to sit on a building in the layout. Wires connected to the track are hooked to it using banna plugs. I do have plugs in the end of the wire(plastic covered spade lugs) that have a fuse in them, just in case. I just unplug the unit where the spade lugs are, tuck the ends into the building and put the TIU in the storage shed with the engines. I got good signal coverage and was able to use all functions easily. Transformer is still in the garage, I use the remote switch unit that Ray describes on his web page to turn the transformer off/on. Works great from  65' away.

I just run a loop outback for the last two years. I carry the tiu and a brick out with me. Are U saying it's better to keep the TIU near the layout?

My new shed is right in the yard at a corner of the mainline loop and I was planning to house some sidings to park trains, the power, and control, all inside there.

I put mine in the shed now, when not using it Joe. My garage is about 75' from my layout and I was not getting a good signal all the time. When I'm using it, it sits on the layout to get the power from the track, and I guess put the signal through the track. When done, I just unhook it and put it in the shed near my layout until the next time I need it, then I'll take it over to the layout and plug it in.

Should note and clarify that in discussing what Jerry was seeing we determined the problem was the remote having trouble communicating with the TIU which was as noted 75' away in a building.  (This was not a TIU to engine communication issue at the track level)  The best way to resolve was to just bring the TIU out to the layout and connect it ("Passively") to one banana plug connected to the layout and connect it to the Fixed 1 Output which provides signal to the track and provides powers the TIU to function.  This is how I run my layout is with the TIU wired passively and allows you to run unlimited amps to the layout.  :)