USATC S160

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three strands represented petty officers and senior seamen, and two for second class seamen and firemen. A single strand was used to identify a seaman or fireman third class or coal-heaver (not a very popular rating). The three strands were retained by the Navy when the display of rank went to the upper left arm.  Bob.

Hello BOb

photo taken at ORAN port  ( I was 2  - tears   many tears )

02/25/1943

Manufacter : unknow

PRICE :  very expensive  in men  live and greenback !!!

and a great view of the Port and Navy ships 1943  (2 photos U.S from the net )

and going to the bed !!!

1.jpg

2.png

According to the number 1670, it was built by Baldwin in the US, sent to England and then to Oran.. Over 2000 of these were built by, Alco, Lima, and Baldwin for the war, most used in England and after sold to many countries after the war.  The star on the tractor appears to be an Algerian flag star, 5 points, and the star on the loco has six points, like the star of David from Israel, don't know.   It looks like the star might have been attached on some packing wood maybe a joke, having to do with shipping. The loco had to travel between many countries to get to Oman, Algeria.  Might have just been attached on a piece of wood that was used for the shipping, and not having any real meaning. Bob.

are you speaking really  of OMAN  ???????????? or ORAN    (finger error on keyboard  maybe)

the tractor is  an U.S  with 5 points  white star  and  in Algéria  1943 the flag was french flag   without star.

Now since 1962 algérian flag has a red star  between a crescent moon leaning to the right  while yours are straight

Yes I saw your videoS    a few weeks ago    good job   and nice toy 

(and a caress to kitty) 

Bob  !!!  I am very  very   sorry  but impossible to see a crescent around the star  BUT for me (and many  Américan  people  certainly )  it's  the US ARMY emblem whose  white circle  (or   yellow  for 1941)   has been ""erased "by time. A

And the photo is distorted  by the fold.

and I saw your   small  machine gun    on shelves 

mine is there

https://modelismemilitaire.blogspot.com/2020/07/armement-page-9.html

1.png

2.jpeg

3.png