Homemade Stainless Track

dlcarterjr

Finishing up a small high rail layout in my son's room and decided I want to do a garden layout in the back yard.  About 300 feet, max.  As usual, track price is an issue.  I've done some research and I think I can build my own track out of 1/8" x 1/2", 304 stainless flat bar using the groovy track method for just over $3/foot.  I was going to use composite deck boards to make my ties.  Anybody see any problems?

Well......just like the real thing, how are U going to keep them upright? Without the wide web at the bottom to spike and keep the rails straight, you may need to do some extra work to your ties. The sun in Texas is so hot that they may expand a good deal on you. I'm not sure how that will work with keeping them parallel. I would try a smaller sample run to see what you're up against. Those composite ties may just get too soft???

Yeah, the ties would be grooved about 1/4" to accept the rail.  I was going to use a thick epoxy, like JB Weld, to hold the rail in the groove in addition to the friction.  I think the composite board would be ok since its engineered to be outside in the sun.  I'll do a few sections and leave them outside this summer to see how they react.  I've seen a lot of homemade aluminum track, just no homemade stainless.  Was just wondering if there was a reason for that.

Stainless Steel is much harder to work with as compared to Brass or Aluminum. Stainless is hard to cut, tap and bend. Don't get discouraged, just do your home work on how to work hard materials. Stainless is a poor conductor as compared to brass and aluminum so plan on more jumper wires and good track joiners/clamps...............Jim