Tank Car run

Jerry B44

I finished up my 10th(and last) New Bright tank car for my train of them. I put on Kadee couplers and 1/32nd metal wheels. I glued a few oz. of weight in the bottom segment, but not sure it was necessary. The size of the New Bright cars fits in with a 40-50's time period better, I think. MTH's tank cars are pretty large.

TankRun1.JPG

Jerry, nice train! It looks great from here anyways.

I always thought that the MTH tank car was modeled after a more modern version and is painted for too many era's? I have bought around a dozen of them and like them overall on my modern diesel trains.

When I look thru the pages of the real train pictures I see many tank cars used for long periods. I would have thought they would wear out quicker?

Jerry.
I reckon a bit of a how to article on these would not go astray on here, and also be appreciated.  Such as trucks used, what wheels, how you mounted the kaddee's., Source of the New Bright cars or do you think the Lionel units would substitute? You know, just the minor details. hehehe
Grant

Grant,

I used some side frames that were made by Great Trains, I think.. THey are 1/32nd scale, I think!  Sort of like the plastic USA ones you can get. I also used Great Trains 1/32nd wheels I got, they are about 1.12". Gary Raymond has some about that size, I think. Just trying to keep things small to go with the small tank. I cut into the front of the frame, just leaving the thin piece to mount the Kadee under.  I also found you can cut down the New Bright trucks a bit, have to re-enforce a section after the cut. I'll try to get some pix up tomorrow. Not sure about the Lionel, I don't have any, they are supposed to be 1/32, I think, but usually sell higher.