Question regarding track support

Lawman

I've tried a couple of ideas for partially elevating my track but they haven't worked out as well as I would like.   I ran across a pic on Pinterest from a guy named Joseph but the link he provides sets off alarm bells with my antiVirus programs!  left him a message but no answers as of yet.

All I want to know is if you guys have seen this stuff,  Looks like glass edge protection to me.  Do you think it would work for the purpose shown?  Just curious...

post-74-0-73895500-1403118017.jpg

Thanks for your time..

Charles

Hi Charles,

I haven't seen anything like that, but it looks good. I'd just recommend you find a way to anchor in down securely, since it'll be lightweight and prone to move around a little. Also, using wood blocks like this would probably be okay, but better if you can use a composite material. I'm in the process of replacing some pressure treated wood I used for roadbed just six months ago... some of it is already so badly warped the track is uneven. I've mostly used concrete for roadbed and much prefer it to anything else. If becomes uneven you can grind it down quite easily with a diamond grinding cup on a 4-1/2" angle grinder. If wood becomes uneven it's really a pain to try to fix the situation.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I ran mine on top of the landscape blocks. Where it goes on the ground I just have chicken grit under it. I do have one section I did with ladder, but get frost heave all the time. Have to pound it back down every spring. I think if you were all ladder it would move evenly. Don Hofshier, there in Omaha is all ladder and has no problem. Might check with him. He's in the RIver City RR club, you should join. They are pretty active, have monthly meetings. Too far for me to drive though.