New from Wisconsin

YoungCR

I've browsed this site for a little bit so figured I might as well start posting. My name is Chris and I just recently moved back to the Madison,WI area and re-discovered all of my models and hobby supplies I've had packed away for a few years.

I don't have much as far as trains, just my Bachmann white pass & Yukon set from when I was a kid, an aristo E8/9 I started kitbashing into WSOR 103 and a USAT UP dome car that has been a shelf queen.

I've had the idea of building a Indoor layout in my shop space that I rent for my car projects. Otherwise I may rejoin the Glacial Garden railway society that I was briefly a member of a couple years ago.

I got out of the hobby during college being as it wasn't too practical and I couldn't afford it. Lately my BMW's have been taking my time and money but the aspect of designing and 3d printing models has resparked my interest. That and having a forum that isnt ancient and enjoyable to use (hint hint not MLS!)

Anyways glad to be here and hopefully I'll become a regular.

Hi Chris, welcome and glad to have you aboard!

Plenty of time for trains.  I spent a few years working full time on a car project of my own, good way to learn about modern car control systems and electronics in general.  Will always eventually come back around to trains when the funds become available :)

Welcome Chris!

I also got out of the hobby during college (while, mostly out of it), but once I got back in and bought a house it didn't take long to get really into it! I'm also really interested in designing and 3D printing (and CNC milling) models. I think it's the future of the hobby, at least for me since nobody makes the models I want.

Anyway, I hope to see you around here often!

Thanks Ben! At the time it seems like the hobby was gonna die but now that I can make/supply my own parts I have more interest again. Probably will have many models made before a layout is every built. I plan on joining the makerspace in Madison so I'll have access to all sorts of prototyping and machining equipment to play with. 

Looks like my thread got double posted. Can a mod merge them please! 

Thanks guys! Since the loco is sitting on my desk starting at me I figured I might as well upload some pictures until I find ones from the original build. Basically all I really did 4 years ago was strip down most of the shell, add the MU box and the dynamic brake fan. 

Front

Dynamic Brake Fan

Rear End

This is the prototype which is traveling around down south running WATCO executive trains now. Not likely to be repainted but don't see it returning home anytime soon unfortunately. 

4595.1193774400.jpg

Chris,

Welcome back to large scale!  A friend of mine (who exited large scale), modified one of these E8s to resemble CR 4020, and made lots of detail parts, including ditch lights, and the air hoses.  Pretty cool when it was all done.

I almost bought a 1977 Porsche 911 Targa at our neighborhood yardsale in '09.  At the time, my wife said "you can buy it, but no trains until it is all paid for".  It would have been a fun car, but.....

Thanks! Someday ill own one of those, the '95 911 I drove is probably my favorite car I've ever driven and I've drove almost every bmw made since 1991. Fantastic drivers cars.

Below is a panorama of the shop space I might possibly start a layout in. 1350 square/ft heat and a/c with a office and bathroom. I have all my car parts stored above the office. On the left id my 1986 528e, middle is my German gray market '85 528i and rightist my shopmate's stock 4cyl class neon track car.

10357708_10152900348994937_9028357379044