MTH Hudson

markoles

Guys,

While I do not have immediate plans of bidding on an MTH hudson,  I do get ebay notices whenever one is posted on the ebay site.  Today,  I noticed one that had a 499 starting bid, reasonable.  I looked at the loco and the pictures show an engine that might have been run a few times under a Christmas tree.  Nothing too much. However, the seller describes the engine as "Mint, never out of the box". I contacted him because I believe that's misleading, since the skates clearly show use (at least several hours worth, maybe more).  ALso, the cab shows dust, meaning the locomotive has been out of the box for at least a little while and the tender coupler is a hook and loop (and appears to be somewhat busted). 

The seller's response to this was 'he only removed the loco from the box, and tested it and took photos'.  So, his description is correct, and misleading.  It is the first time out of the box (for him), but not necessarily for the locomotive. 

Am I being too picky with this guy?

The average person doesn't know the meanings of the grading system.

Mint to them means it's just like new. So they should say "like new" but they feel they're being accurate.

I was guilty of this myself at first. I can't blame anyone else. At least he listed all the details he could. He's the one who said it was used before.

I can tell you that these engines do not come from the factory with the hook and look on the back, they have a knuckle coupler on the back.  So someone clearly had a train they needed to pull with hook and loop couplers.   So the response that only removed the loco from the box and tested it and took photos is misleading and based on the coupler on the back, dishonest.  As has been said before, a good lie is 90% the truth.  

Not being too picky.  I would weigh the risks of what you see and are reading and decide accordingly.  What is being shared alone might make me suspicious enough to not buy it but depends on the deal.

It's kind of a crap shoot when dealing with Perry's...some of those folks reading this will know what I mean  :ph34r:

Email them and ask what the odometer & chronometer readings are..they'll probably give you some kind of run around answer like "it's all packed away"  :lol:

I never got a reply on a Clinchfield's question of Hours/Odometer.  My D&H Challenger is high run time (original issue without DCS Switch behind smokebox door), I am satisfiied with my purchase and "NO" complaints.

Sometimes you 'win' and sometimes you 'lose' on these offerings; 1 of my D&H GP38's was a low (great) $ purchase and I found it had a sound system when I opened the box upon receipt.

I don't think you are being too picky at all.  When a sellers discription doesn't match the pics,  then common sense dictates some questions be asked. After all, you are talking about a locomotive and not a piece of rolling stock. Clearly that loco was more than test run.  I don't care for people who quibble or play games with words; I think using the term "mis-leading" is being very kind.  Check out the same sellers' discription of a Triplex he is selling!

Joe 

“ENGINE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION WITH BOX. TESTED ENGINE AND NOT WORKING. JUST MAKES CLICKING SOUND. NO LIGHTS, SMOKE, SOUND OR MOVEMENT. ONE PIECE BRAKE SHOE FROM ENGINE FRONT TRUCK HAS BROKE OFF AND NEEDS TO BE GLUED BACK. BESIDES THAT ENGINE AND TENDER IN MINT CONDITION. BOX IS NICE CONDITION. NICE CLEAN NON-WORKING ENGINE. WILL BE SHIPPED IN FACTORY STEEL MOUNTING PLATES PACKED IT FOAM AS SEEN IN PHOTOS.â€

Brand:

MTH

Grading: C-7 Excellent

Haha!! Engine in excellent condition just slightly f*cked up!  :wacko:

Hi guys, I'm new to this site and some what new to g scale.  I have pondered awhile now about getting a USA trains Hudson but the price and some reviews have scared me away.  It seems from reviews I've read that the engine gets rave reviews right out of the box but after its been run a little while, the lights all flicker, apparently from the smoke unit shorting out or something, and the engine mechanisms, control arms etc, begin to squeak excessively.  Some say the smoke unit can completely short out.  All in all, I just haven't seen many good reviews to validate paying that much money.  However, I have seen great reviews of the MTH Hudson and the price is a good bit cheaper.  I recently bought a bridgewerks power supply to run my trains on and its worked wonderfully.  The questions I have is this...the mth Hudson says it has protosound and I know it only makes the chuffing sound on dc.  No whistle or bell...which is what I want.  So, What do I need to make the Hudson chuff, whistle and ring short of buying a mth dcc system?  It says in the directions that you can have a AC controller that has a bell and whistle button but where do I find that to go with a bridgewerks transformer?  Also, any comments on the MTH engine itself?  Is it good, bad, look realistic, hows it compare to the USA trains Hudson?  Thanks

Ted, 

The difference between the two will be a matter of how much you simply want to spend as the extra money you spend on the USA Hudson gets you an all die cast metal model.  I can't speak to any smoke unit issues as I replace mine with upgraded stuff from MTH but if the engine runs into issues from flickering lights overtime I would first check the power pickup for problems as the engine relies on inside wheel power pickup brushes only instead of also having sliders.  On my USA Hudson it was run a good bit and the power pickup brushes were worn and stuck so a number weren't making contact with the wheels.  (it called for replacing the brushes and the plastic brush housing assemblies.)  I personally haven't had issues with noises from the drive rods etc, and would think if you keep it lubricated it should say quiet. 

On the MTH Hudson I have one of those as well and is one of my more heavily run engines, it has all metal gears and solid metal axles.  Engine is plastic with great detail and a sizable metal weight in the frame. The MTH hudson is one of the few largescale engines I have done almost nothing to.

For starters I would go to my website to see photos of each engine so you can see what each engine looks like up close and how the detail is.  

I like both engines and despite some of the issues you may have heard about with the USA Trains Hudson, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one it's a very impressive engine.  New I think the USA runs between $1700-2000 and doesn't come with digital control out of the box.  If it has sound it has chuff with bell/whistle triggered by track magnets.

The MTH I like as well and for the price for what you get it's really hard to beat.  I paid $610 for my mine and as with all the MTH engines (steam and diesel) they come with a true up-sized G scale smoke unit, sound and lights all ready to go for the DCS control system.  (it is DCS not DCC by the way)  As far as triggering the bell and whistle you will need to either use an AC power supply (w/bell and whistle buttons) or get a DCS TIU and Remote set.  You won't be able to trigger them with a Bridgewerks power supply alone (without the DCS TIU and Remote).   (I have the DCS sets for $309.00 which includes antenna for TIU upon request.)

It really boils down to what you are looking to spend to get what you want.  With the fact the the MTH engines come pre-equipped with sound, smoke, lights and full digital control, it makes them a far more affordable engine to buy and less hassle.  To get digital control in the USA Hudson will cost additional for the electronics (between $100-$250 depending on what you get) on top of the purchase price plus if you can't install it yourself you will have to pay labor which for even basic installs costs about $100.00.  So depending on what you tried to upgrade the USA engine with you may have another $100-350 in it.  So it really depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.  

I have photos and videos of both engines on my website, let me know if you have more questions.

Wow, thanks for the great reply Raymond. A bunch of great info there. Seems I have some decision making to do. I have a digitrax dcc-not dcs- and that thing is complicated as all get out to use. Especially when you get into speed controls and variables, etc etc. Is the mth dcs system very involved. I don't want to have to go to school to run trains. Ha ha. I was considering converting my other engines to battery power and using airwire. Adding mth would be just another operating system. And I'm not all that familiar with the difference in Dcs and dcc. Pardon my ignorance but I'm trying to figure this stuff out. :-)

Very welcome, glad to help.  DCS is simple and straight forward to use.  If you would like more information on the DCS system itself I have a page setup to give a complete overview of the system functions, including all components, menu options and full overview demonstration videos that step you through everything.

http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Overview_Videos.htm 

DCS was basically created to give you all the same features as the most advanced control systems without the need to configure anything.  (No configuring the remote, engines etc)  You put the engine on the track, just read the descriptive menu items as to what you want to do and press the button.  The kinds of things you are talking about like trying to get speed matching right etc under DCC isn't something you have to mess with under DCS.  All engines from the factory come pre-speed matched to all other engines, lights, sound and smoke all setup to function under the standard button labels that are clearly marked on the remote.   Most end-users that want to take their new engine, put it on the track and just go.  They want the features but don't want the complexity in having to set them up for each engine or to get them to work together or have to pay someone to do it for them.  

Another nice feature is the ability to run the TIU in "Passive mode" which means you are only limited to the number of amps you power supply can put out.  (If you have a 30amp power supply, you can run and control 30amps of trains.  Not that most would need to in this case but)

Regarding battery power the engines and system can be setup and installed for operation under battery if you decided to go that route.  I generally try to help individuals get their layouts setup first and go battery as a last resort.  (Key item being replace all track joiners with direct to rail split-jaw clamps)

Thanks guys. 

There is another MTH hudson on ebay now,too. and it has a repaired front truck.  I'd still lean more that way, since it looks like an acutal user is selling his engine. 

Chuck, I did ask them for the odometer reading and he claimed he didn't know how to get that.  Made me suspicious.

Chuck, I did ask them for the odometer reading and he claimed he didn't know how to get that.  Made me suspicious.

Perry's Toy Exchange also named The Toy Exchange is a MTH dealer...but he doesn't know how to access the odometer??!! He has a "in" with MTH as they're always selling weird MTH stuff such as paint sample shells. I spoke with them on the phone once not to long ago and he admitted that they buy warehouse clearance merchandise direct from MTH...their only located a few miles apart.

• 1 month later...

I bought a MTH Hudson from these people on EBAY. To be honest I am only 95% sure it was them. It was, to make a long story short, a piece of junk.

Update: I went back and looked at my records. It was perrystoyexchange. I recommend avoiding any contact with these people.