triggering KD servo couplers with PS?

enginear joe

I ran in the basement for about ten years and never had a problem with the stock MTH electric couplers. Moving outside, running long trains up steeper climbs, I've had a few times where the stock couplers have failed. It started with one older diesel engine's electric rear coupler breaking and not staying closed reliably.

I had another steam engine where the coupler would dip, and release the train. I believe that was caused by how long the whole coupler hangs off the back of the tender unsupported properly. It screws onto a bracket that is mounted by the far end making it hang off the back of the tender too far unsupported properly. I think it should be supported nearer to the center of the assembly, where it should pivot from.

I believe a KD coupler box would help resolve that problem as it screws on nearer to the center of the coupler's swing. I would hate to loose the ability to drop off cars when I want. So I'm looking at the KD servo coupler for a solution.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried them with a MTH Protosound 2 or 3 board to see if they'll work??

http://www.remoteuncoupling.com/

I haven't tried the KD version but I would assume they should work just fine.

Regarding the coupler dipping, I've never had a problem with that on any One Gauge model even pulling 100ft trains and would think that has a correctable issue.  I'm guessing either the posts or post holes are messed up in some way.

Ray watched as my USA Big Boy w/ PS2 and ProtoCoupler on the rear pulled 100' of coal hoppers for 8 hours with never a release. Of course all the cars have Kadee's  :)