Accucraft 4-6-4 Dreyfuss Hudson in Development in 1:29

Rayman4449

Not sure on the minimum curve but I would imagine it could take as tight as you could want having only 3 driving axles.

I honestly most likely won't be springing for one of these unless they are priced pretty low. My days of spending big bucks on a single G scale engine are pretty much done. (now if it was a UP9000 that might be a different story :P )

I'm certainly excited about this news! I'd rather see a Southern Pacific locomotive, but this is a close second. I just need to figure out how to start saving the big bucks for an engine like this this. (Must...resist...buying... more... freight cars...). I'm going to make a prediction that it'll be around $3000. We'll see how close I am. I could see it being even more if prices continue to climb before it's released, but I'd rather not think about that. I'd also want matching passenger cars, from USA Trains, so add another $2000 or $3000 for a string of those and it'll definitely be over $5000.  :o If I'm going save that much I'd better get off the train forums and go back to work!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I should be the first to follow up and admit my prediction was wrong! The Accucraft pre-order price is $3695: http://www.accucraftestore.com/index.php?categoryID=446

I'm surprised it's so much more than the AML K4, which was around $2200 before release, and has gone up to $2900 now. Has the market price for large scale locomotives really gone up that much recently? I haven't seen USA Trains raise prices so much. The Big Boy, for example, is $3700 and has already been right around that price. Their NYC Hudson has always been right around $2000.

Damn that is expensive!  No way am I going to drop that kind of money on one.  I think there are likely a number of factors built into that higher price... currency value fluctuations, higher energy costs, rising labor costs in China/emerging markets and probably most importantly right now, lower sales volumes.  

At this point USA trains is the only high-end steam I would consider buying in the future.  I like the build quality, heft, detail, pricing and ease of dismantling/repair.  For high-end product it's hard to beat in my opinion.

I couldn't find a price for the electric version on Accucraft's site, so I figured it was coming later. But this evening I found both versions already listed at Silver State Trains. The electric version is "only" $3320, and scheduled for Winter 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping the final production model will resolve some inaccuracies in the pre-production model: 1) the front cowling below the nose is more curved than on the prototype; 2) the vents beside the top of the nose fin don't look like the prototype; 3) the trim at the base of the running board ladders is too shallow compared to prototype, and 4) the headlight assembly looks slightly under-scaled relative to the prototype. Otherwise, the scaling looks good in the photo.