MTH PS 2 to PS 3 Upgrade Kit

blid

I have heard about the 3-2 upgrade kit for a long time now. Someone (at MTH) told me that there is no difference between the 0 gauge and One gauge components. Now, when the upgrade kit is announced, One gauge isn’t mentioned. Ray, do you know why?

Bjorn

It is important to remember the Upgrade kit was originally intended and designed to upgrade MTH O Gauge engines with Protosound 1 to Protosound 2.  That's what these kits are for.   In this type of upgrade a whole host of components needed to be replaced including wiring harnesses etc.   

This scenario won't exist for MTH One Gauge.  All MTH One Gauge engines will already have PS2 installed and the only thing required for upgrade to PS3 will be replacing the board.  For One Gauge, the upgrade will depend on which engine you have as to how your board will need to be configured.   

Whether you have an MTH One Gauge engines w/PS2 that need upgrading or non-MTH engine without Protosound installed I can work with you to make sure you get exactly what you need for your application.

MTH has made the announcement on the kits but I am still waiting for delivery.  I do have a standing order for them and once MTH ships I will be able to provide what you need.  

Not sure when they will ship but I'm assuming that since the announcement has been made they will be shipping pretty soon.  MTH is showing the ship date as Nov 2015.

When I get my new Big Boy 4014, will my controls work it fine?  With the problems of shipping the big locomotives I'm not sure I will want to upgrade my Challenger or Hudson. Will the conversion be worthwhile?  I assume you need a new TIU and controller, or is that wrong?

The PS3 decoders still talk DCS like the PS2 do. No need for a new TIU. But, after flicking a switch, the PS3 talk DCC. That’s what I am after since my Marklin controller talks DCC too. Then I will be able to mix MTH and Marklin engines on the same tracks. Might be worth it but my main concern is whether I will be able to do it myself. I have a couple of month to think about it.

Bjorn

As Bjorn indicated, yes your Big Boy 4014 with factory installed Protosound 3 will work just fine with the TIU and Remote you currently have.  (I believe you are running v4.20 on them is that correct?  Check the x.xx number on the remote when you turn it on)  

The advantages of PS3 will be:

• PS3 Engines running on DC power that miss the TIU watchdog signal when track power is turned on instantly with startup voltage will not take off running.  They now operate like they do under AC which is to power up but does not move.         (This enhancement was done with One Gauge in mind as users usually operate under DC power.)
  • Higher quality audio amplifier built in for cleaner sound (even on PS2 files)
  • Access to the new, larger, updated, higher quality sound files 
  • Significantly better track signal strength.  Using a TIU Rev L provides a big bump in signal strength and using a PS3 engines provides another order of magnitude increase in strength.  From what I have seen I can't imagine anyone having signal/control issues with PS3 equipped engines if you are using all direct to rail rail-clamps on your layout.
  • Will operate under DCC control by flipping a switch on the engine.
  • Eliminates the PS2 external battery pack.

As far as PS3 track signal, my testing has shown that any areas where the signal may dip on signal tests now shows 100% 10's everywhere with a PS3 engine.  I would say if your engines are operating fine and you are happy with them I would probably leave them be.  If you are wanting to boost your track signal communication levels or have any issues with engines missing watchdog signals you may want to consider it.

There is a difference running PS3 engines. If you push the direction button and don't wait for the engine to stop, applying more speed the PS3 will act differently. A PS2 engine will continue running at the new speed set in the same direction it was going before the direction button was pushed. The PS3, will remember to switch directions first, then go to the new speed setting.

Because of this, I wonder how they will do in a consist if someone doesn't wait for them to stop, when changing directions and rolling up the thumbwheel or assigning a new speed after the direction change? I'll need to test them to see if they fight or get along!

A point worth repeating. When you try engines as candidates for a consist – don’t hook them up. Leave a couple of inches between them and then start running the consist. This will show any differences in acceleration, deceleration or speed settings.

• 3 months later...