Smoke units in trailing A's?

enginear joe

Joe, yes they do.  

All A-A  One Gauge sets have the second A unit that is a slave.  The slave unit has lights, smoke, motors etc... everything except sound output.(and of course the slave unit must be run with a Master A unit, it can't be run independently)   Unless a unit is identified as a dummy, it will have everything noted for a slave unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Besides smoke fluid not really looking anywhere like real loco smoke. Weather it's a diesel where the smoke should be much blacker or steam where it should be more abundant and steamy, unlike the cigarette like smoke  that comes out of smoke units. The fact is that in an A-B-A lash up only the lead and trailing units smoke. the B unit doesn't. Which considering the high price MTH sells these dumy units is really a bad deal, they should put in a smoke unit at that price for those who want one. It is very visible on the D & H Alco PA1 A - B -A lash up in the video. All in all I do without smoke effects altogether it is too much a kidy type gadget for me. It also keeps oil from falling all over the body and chassis, which is no picnic too. I get enough projections of that sort from my live steamers. By the way our steamers don't smoke either (unless it's a very cold and humid day) the only way you can tell it is steam, is from the safety valves plume  or when one pops off. i really don't miss it at all...

When you look at how everything is wired there are technical considerations to have 1 or more B units setup for smoke.  Takes more than a smoke unit, each unit would need electronics to drive & turn on/off (electronically) + power pickups and associated wiring harnesses so there would be additional cost, increasing the price.  MTH has always had their A-A sets with second A being a slave and setup to drive 1 slave engine, not 2 or 3 or 4, etc. (B units always dummies).  Could they actually drive 2 slaves? maybe.  4?  maybe not and at some point there are likely limits with 1 slave being the max a single Protosound board should drive.