LGB Genesis and cars scale?

I'm wondering exactly what scale these are? I saw a guess posted about the size. I just measured my engine and the body look like it's about 28 1/4" overall roughly. So I need to find how long the real one is to see what scale this was built to if any.

After seeing other posts here, I'm tempted to bring this whole set down to 1/32 scale if possible? I'm guessing it will be a big task? Maybe I could fudge some areas to get them close enough? Like lowering the cars down onto their trucks more if there's clearance.

I don't like having the LGB cars anywhere near the MTH ones. I now own some Accucraft cars and that sealed the deal for me on 1/32. I will look at what modifications can easily be done to get a better looking RR in the future. With the arrival of the new MTH BB coming, and all the other MTH engines I have, it seems that I should focus on 1/32. I love some of the USA modern freight cars that have come out so I'm slightly torn.

At least making the passenger trains look better together should be my priority. I can't ignore how much I like these LGB modern Amtrak cars and engines. Having them so scarce, maybe a blessing for me down the road.

I thought someone posted they were bigger. I believe it scales out to 1/29. I saw they're 69 feet long. I have not checked the cars yet.

Maybe it's sitting higher up then it should? It looks much bigger than 1/29 to me.

• 4 months later...

With scaling down the LGB Genesis, I came up with about 1:27 for the LGB Genesis.  That is the scale that I took my measurements with to scale to 1:32,   Scale of the Genesis is 10 ft wide and, like you said, 69 ft. long.  Ended up at 3 3/4 inches wide and I didn't reduce the length, so scale of 1:32 was about 74 ft. length. Bob.

With scaling down the LGB Genesis, I came up with about 1:27 for the LGB Genesis.  That is the scale that I took my measurements with to scale to 1:32,   Scale of the Genesis is 10 ft wide and, like you said, 69 ft. long.  Ended up at 3 3/4 inches wide and I didn't reduce the length, so scale of 1:32 was about 74 ft. length. Bob.

I just recently bought a Dehanes Budd combine baggage car.  It is extruded Aluminum and when I bought it, the seller said that it was gauge one, but when I got it, it was the same scale a LGB.  Based on the width, the scale came out to be 1:27.9.  I complained to the seller that It was not gauge one, but the same scale as LGB, but after looking at the ad again, on the box, it said gauge one. By the way, the one on the left is an MTH, 1:32.  I couldn't fault the seller because that is what it said on the box.  I guess they meant that it ran on gauge one track.  Oh well, I kept it anyway, maybe I can use some of the detail for a model.  Here are some pictures.  

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

I also got a DeHanes car, a dome one. Thing was huge, compared to my MTH. I cut it down some and changed the trucks so it matches the height of the MTH cars, but I did not change the width. I also put new seats in the dome and some in the empty lower deck.  Looks okay from the deck and gives me a dome car in my Santa Fe units. YOu can see it over in the kitbash forum.

Yes, the scale is about 1:28, so not good for my 1:32 endeavors.  I kept it to possibly mold some sections in urethane and then shape into 1:32.  This is my first Budd example of the Budd type.  I am thinking about some or alot of some superliners, since I have only found 3 in 1:32, but no one has seen them since the builder died.  I might have to put the CNC router that I built to work.  Someone asked how I did the seals on the P42, so here are some pictures on how I am doing it.  I first do the horizontal and let dry, and then do the vertical about 2 days later. Bob.

IMG_0743.JPG