LGB Amfleet kitbash to 1:32

rbrown7713

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its like you all, we build and build what we like and can't find in the market and all of a sudden we have too much rolling stock... But I am amazed at all of what you are doing also Bob, Jerry, Jens and Larry and many other members of this great forum. making those molds designing for extrusions and developping things in 3D printing are all new  techniques that to me are amazing.

• 1 year later...

• 1 year later...

OK, this is one  gauge, but kitbashed.  This was an LGB and I cut it down to 1:32 scale.  Yes, it would be interesting to make a powered one.  Easy enough to do, just slice it up like I did. Bob.

Really Jerry, not as hard as you may think.  The main tools were a Dremel with a cut off wheel, hand held, and a long sanding block use to keep the long strips edge straight.  Now I did use my cnc router to cut out the window openings, but even without that, it can be done with a Dremel, with a little patience. The P42 loco. was made in the same way.  I did make molds for all of the parts so as to make the parts stronger. I encourage everyone to venture out and make molds, it's fun and has good rewards.  If I can do it, any one can. My main attribute is patience.  I have a lot of that. I have viewed your work and some of the things that you have created are more difficult than this. Designing this car is not without snags. I am using the same window frames and glass as the Superliners and discovered, when trying to install the frames, they didn't fit because of the curvature of the sides.  Maybe this is good because now I have to shave the frames to fit inside the openings.  This, if I can pull it off, will make these windows look very much like the prototype and look better.  This will take hours, but, in the long run will look better.  Bob.

Yes, I forgot to fill the parting line with bondo and smooth it. Oh well, if I make another, I will have to fill each car. Doing it the hard way as usual. I can't catch everything.  Half of the windows are installed, start on the other half today, and apply some decals. Bob.

I installed the Rapido easy peasy lights, 2 strips, and they work beautifully.  I wave the magnetic wand over the roof and they light up. Wave them again and they shut down.  They are the correct realistic looking brightness.  They are also easy peasy to install. Bob.

IMG_2029.JPG