Possibility to create a book transport

Mike1083

I was hoping to find out if it is possible to create a children's book hauling train line (Reading Railroad) . Essentially books start out at one spot and arrive in another. I would want to use the reading locomotives for the project but i am thinking a custom paint job on a powerful loco or locos might be the better option. I was thinking lumber cars would be the best option as far as holding the books upright but im not sure if that would work. I guess my main questions would be is there a steam locomotive that is out there that could do the haul. i was thinking 3-4 dr seuss size and weight books per car at maybe 4-8 cars long. If a steam is out of the question which diesel should i consider? As far as cars go i am open to suggestions or even custom ideas. This would most likely be used in a classroom and if not approved it would be used as a tool to market reading on a teaching blog in which case it would only need to be maybe 4 cars. I really have no clue about how to even go about attempting this and would definitely appreciate any pointers or tips. The biggest hurdle is going to be having cars that can act as book ends essentially without tipping. I look forward to any help and suggestions.

Mike

The main question I see would be where would this be run, inside with level track or outside with possible steep grades.  If the track will be fairly level then you can likely expect most of the motive power out there should be able to pull it except for the smallest engines.   Little 0-4-0, 0-6-0 steam engines may not pull it well, but depends on the engine and it's weight.  Engines like MTH Hudson, Aristocraft Pacific/Mikado should do ok.  Any diesel should as well.  In any case I would try and get an engine with some weight to it like the noted Hudson, pacific/mikado.  Hope that helps some.

Raymond

Thanks for the quick reply. It would be done indoors and on level track. As far as scale goes, should i stick with 1/29 or 1/32. Does this make much difference power wise or affect my ability or space to hold books? 

Holding the books upright maybe a challenge due to play in bolster to truck interface and if the trucks actually have sprung suspension. Any lateral motion will start the car to rock and tip over. If this can be over come, maybe a gondola car would be used. Then Styrofoam blocks could be wedged between both covers of the book and the two sides of the car to hold it upright................Jim

The rocking side-to-side stability issue can be taken care of by using 4-wheel European-style freight cars as opposed to 8-wheel US-style freight cars. I would imagine something like the LGB high-sided gondola would work nicely. The key is going to be to figure out a way to keep the books standing upright and in the center of the car so not to shift the center of gravity outside the rails forcing the car to tip over. If you "ship" the books maybe one or two to a car, with them opened slightly so to form a "V" in the car, they should stand upright and not top. For multiple books, you'd nest one inside the other. You may need one or two special cars without ends to carry books that are longer than thay are tall, and softback books may be a might problematic if they don't want to stand upright.

Later,

K

Thanks for the great tips and responses. A while ago i had seen a rolling stock piece that initially made me think this could even be possible. Thinking back on it i have a feeling it was an ho or o piece(when i was deciding which scale to invest in). It was a stake car that appeared to hold logs. it had 3 rows of stakes and the center stakes were taller than the outer stakes. Ive been trying to see if such a thing exists for g scale and have had no luck. The lgb euro cars really looked like they might work as they appear to have high walls/stakes. Then again i have not seen one in person so i am not 100% on that. Definitely think it will be possible to pull this off i just think im gonna have to get creative with how i can keep the books standing up straight. On a side note, the lgb hudson(the 4 foot radius is a big plus for a classroom)that appears to cost a small fortune and the mth triplex are on my radar. Ive been considering the accucraft electrics but i have yet to really find any good reviews and such. the whistle on the triple is what has me leaning in its favor though.