I like MTH Dash 8s

enginear joe

I guess I have to. I have waited for a loooonnngg time to get another modern one. Until then, I guess I had to order even more. Waiting for those to show up to add to the roster.

Need to make my yards soon!

post-10-0-00189400-1404764954.jpg

post-10-0-60794000-1404764975.jpg

post-10-0-11967200-1404765000.jpg

Holy cow I didn't realize you had that many, nice line up!  They all look like they are in great shape too.  Of course my three favorites are, SF, UP and NS :)

You can't beat them, solid metal axles(not soft cast metal), all metal axle gears and all metal worm gears (again not soft cast metal).  Only ones out there built like that, nice and damn hear bullet-proof.  Any future diesels will probably all be MTH as they already come fully equipped with sound, control and high quality smoke units.

I like that lettering!!  Looks damn good!

When you get to the point of needing to explain it just take the purchases underground.  I can help with that if you need it hahaha.  Wanna see more pics later :)

Well.....

I have a dash 8 that is now a EMD SD70ACE. so I can't count that. I have a Dash 8 CR Narrow nose that's just a shell so that doesn't count either. I do have a box of spare parts w/ trucks too.

I do have two new PS3 Dash 8s on order so when they come in......

I Have Aristo dash 9s too.

Uh oh. If I make a list, I'll prove to her that I DO HAVE TOO MANY!!!

I tried that one Ray. She told me, "don't even think about it". I have a very short leash. It just got even shorter. Maybe MTH will delay the Dash 8s again for me. I'll get a cooling off period?

I was going to email you for a steam to diesel trade on your dash 8s. I'd better not do any moves for awhile.

For anybody reading this that doesn't understand. I also do O gauge and just got a ton of stuff for that too. So much that the train stores are e-mailing me asking for more orders! They want to know how my business is doing and how much we spend per year. I don't even have one!

The delivery guys wave when I don't even get a pkg.

Haha see you DO have more diesels than I do, nice!  Ahhh keep going as long as you have the place to store them you're fine ;)

I don't have those high end steamers that you do. I should have grabbed a K4 back then at the least. That USA BB won't go around my 15' curves anyways. I'd have a long way to go to get enough diesels to out pull all your steamers! I am trying!

I guess I have to. I have waited for a loooonnngg time to get another modern one. Until then, I guess I had to order even more. Waiting for those to show up to add to the roster.

Need to make my yards soon!

Wow, you have an incredible roster! Although it's hard to tell the scale from the picture... but maybe that's because I'm only used to seeing a roster like this in HO scale!

One thing that amazed me in G scale. Some guys just own a couple of engines? I admire them. I want to pull very long trains. I don't wish to work the heck out of any engine. So, I plan on using 2 or 3 up front and several helpers. What excites me about (scale) toy trains, is seeing them work like real ones. If you've ever tried to pull over fifty cars by hand, you'll realize how hard these are working (in scale Lbs. of course).

One thing that amazed me in G scale. Some guys just own a couple of engines? I admire them. I want to pull very long trains. I don't wish to work the heck out of any engine. So, I plan on using 2 or 3 up front and several helpers. What excites me about (scale) toy trains, is seeing them work like real ones. If you've ever tried to pull over fifty cars by hand, you'll realize how hard these are working (in scale Lbs. of course).

I agree, I've noticed this too. It's pretty much impossible to be completely prototypical in G scale, but I like to try and go for the essence of prototypical railroading. However I need more diesels too now. I only have two big diesels (USA Trains SD70MACs) and they can barely pull 20 cars up my 3% grade. Keep up the "inspiration" and I'll have another on the way sooner than later. :)

If you can when you only have a couple of diesels, try splitting them up and putting one in the rear of the train. Sounds like not a big difference and may add to control problems. It relieves the stress on the couplers pulling apart. Of course the engines need to be speed matched really well! ( or you'll introduce new issues). Backing the train up becomes much easier too.

This one showed up and......it's PS2. So that means the PS3 ones are still coming.

Umm ... hold on a sec.

You just received a PS2 version that shipped in 2010 and the PS3 version scheduled for july '14 - as in right about now - is still not there?

Yikes - does patience come in pills?  :D

Jens

Umm ... hold on a sec.

You just received a PS2 version that shipped in 2010 and the PS3 version scheduled for july '14 - as in right about now - is still not there?

Yikes - does patience come in pills?  :D

Jens

Well.....

I didn't have the PS2 on order. I had been looking for it for years and for some reason it magically appeared for sale?

I do have the new PS3's on order and I just got this dreaded message again:

"Dear Joseph Paonessa,

We wanted to let you know that your order will be slightly delayed. We expect to receive the items for shipment to you on Sep/13/2014."

for some reason, I don't believe the date. Maybe because this is the fifth time??? Mike W. said they are going to start making them soon. Urrgggg.

Okay - now I believe the November schedule for my F7s, even though the dates look like a shotgun fired from a distance at a barn door.

Why is the F7 AA set set for November, when the B and single A is set for July? Doesn't make sense. I was kinda setting my hopes for a typo and that they'd be right around the corner, seeing that we're almost running out of days in July, but more likely the typo is that they all appear (no earlier than) November  <_<

Sigh!

Oh well ... I'll just fuggedaboutit for a while and suddenly I'll get an email from Ray that will make my day  :D

Hmm ... perhaps KM-1 will be ready with my BR50 first?

I would imagine they are in the process of updating shipping dates so probably will see more consistency across the lines shortly.

We go through this every catalog, MTH often pushes out the production dates but they do eventually ship the engine.  I personally just expect you have about a year from the time they announce the item in the catalog before you will see it.  I expect that gives more exposure time for word to get out the items are available, which means more people to get pre-orders in so they can select the desired production numbers with right amount of excess for inventory then start production.  The only reason we don't 'see' this with other mfgs is they don't set an expectation of a very specific ship date down to the month and day, they just say we're going to make it and sometime a year later they show up.  I was anxious myself when I was waiting on the Big Boys and GS-4 to arrive and they eventually came so I can definitely understand.  There are reasons why MTH does what it does on how it handles the shipping dates, the downside to the approach is the 'expectation' it sets in people's mind.  I'm to the point now where I will be glad there is a time delay between announcement and shipping as it will give me time to actually save up.  I have enough engines to run and enjoy in the mean time while I wait :)

It is a bit frustrating, but it's the same with European brands.

What raised my expectation is that MTH in June revised the shipping dates and set them to July. The dates being so close, I'd expect they would be able to know for certain that the shipping date would hold. Perhaps it's the flip side to having the stuff made in China - that you just don't know or is being misled. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

I have cash in hand for the F7s, but I also have a lot to do while I wait, so it's not a big deal. I just need to whine about it now and again  :rolleyes:

Jens