I like MTH Dash 8s

enginear joe

Well I've been buying MTH products for 20 years now and the shipping dates don't mean much other than they haven't forgotten about it. MTH first advertised the One-Gauge lineup about in early 2001 via advertisements in the O Gauge magazines. I believe the first cataloged items were in the MTH 2001 O Gauge Vol. 3 in the back. It took MTH another 3 years before they released the Hudson & Challengers. Infact they felt so bad about how long it took that they included a free DCS Remote with the Challengers!! 

You gotta learn MTH speak...soon means 6 months to a year. MTH has continuously bumped up shipping dates by 3 months for at least the last 10 years. No other manufacturer in large scale even lists shipping dates. Ro's Big Boy took what? 3-4 years to ship after it was introduced. It's taken Accucraft 7 years to make the Allegheny...if they ever do.  

I grumble a lot about time tables of delivery. I always wait. It's worth it to me. MTH has a great drive system. These diesels run great. I can put up with any little problems or waiting when I can trust the drive will be built right.

These forums make it easy nowadays to post our feelings. The overall tone of a reply can be mis-understood just as easily. The number of MTH G scale engines I own must say something about which brand I prefer. It was just frustrating that the only modern diesel delivered from them, where these Dash 8's. I know, I keep harping!!

• 6 months later...

Yeah and I'm still waiting for that Aristo-Craft SD9...or was it a SD24?? Maybe it was a SW9 switcher...I just can't remember. They were also going to make a GG1, coaling tower, working trackside signal system, interior for control tower etc. Glad I have patience :lol:  

• 4 months later...

Well.... I just can't seem to get any new ones here. So I keep buying the well used models that I can find. Now I have a pair of silver War Bonnets! They may need some tender care..... and a few parts.....

post-10-0-52677500-1433191159.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well after some work adjusting the tachs, I'm getting the power ready for a train. I'm not sure exactly how it will be distributed yet..... 3's or 4's??? Who gets to be the leader? At least my wild horses have settled down and may behave.

post-10-0-17212600-1439316688.jpg

post-10-0-15299000-1439316706.jpg

post-10-0-54778900-1439316721.jpg

Too many......and not enough!

I wish MTH had released another modern engine to run with these. They didn't so I made my own SD70ACe, and MP15AC. I will now make some more to have some kind of diversity of different models. I contemplated cutting down the USA sd70mac and the aristo dash 9 to make them 1/32scale. It wouldn't be worth the effort. It would be easier to start from scratch. I run them together when no one's looking. If I post pics, posters complain that it looks bad having both scales together. I really don't mind them together!