Aristocraft Heavyweights (ATSF) in-stock

Rayman4449

That's pricey! I want a passenger train though. I keep putting it off, and it keeps getting more expensive AND more difficult to find. I've thought about getting Aristo-Craft heavyweights, but the only factory paint scheme I'm interested in is UP, and they don't seem to making them anymore. If I could find cheap enough used cars I'd like to repaint in SP Olive Green, but with zero experience painting cars I'm definitely not going to touch brand new cars for over $300/each. One of the deals I regret not buying was around 2010 when I had a chance to buy about five heavyweights in bad condition for $150 total. They had broken, missing, or rusty trucks, faded paint, and some broken pieces, but would have been perfect for repainting.

I'm glad I bought my heavyweights back when I did that is for sure.  I'm with you too, I have so far kept away from painting en-mass.  Would need a paint booth to do a series of cars and even then time consuming and costly depending on what paint you choose to use.

That guy from Australia is also on Ebay.  I think that at almost $2600 with shipping  that he is going to have them for awhile, lol.  RLD Hobbies has a good price on Pennsy sets for under $800.  The Aristo Heavyweights are a  good-looking car and always sold well.  Aristocraft produced many heavyweight runs with each run better than the previous run it replaced.  Maybe we will see some future runs that will include UP sets with Polk's Generation Next ??    

Joe

It would be nice if Polks would start making more sets but IMHO they should re-work the molds as they're getting wore out. I've had at least 6 sets thru here over the years and they drive me crazy! Doors lean one direction while the steps lean another. The ends don't match up to the roof very well and the constant lighting problems such as wires breaking away from the trucks. Some cars I couldn't get roof off of as it was glued on by the factory because the center roof tangs didn't match up with the notches so it was glued!

Last set I had was brand new Milwaukee Road in the blue/ grey boxes...the old original run. What a mess as those things didn't even have the holes in the bottom for a screwdriver to access the roof screws??!! Had to work those screws thru the side door! That and the old metal wheels that were one piece cast with the axle then joined to the opposite axle with a plastic sleeve just really suck as all they do is wobble...Thanks but no thanks with those cars!

All bitching aside I did have a set of 13 NYC 2-tone Grey heavyweights that I installed LED lighting in all cars and something like 30 - 40 people in each car...pretty nice!! 

Didn't know that problems with the bodies were starting to emerge.  With as many heavyweight cars that Aristo produced over the years I guess it makes sense that those molds are getting wore out. I did know about the glued roofs.  They did however make improvements in the performance of those cars in subsequent years.  I think that if Generation Next wants to re-establish the Aristo line the best thing they could possibly do is correct any and all problems that they know exists with the former Aristo line.  It's amazing that once you establish a reputation of quality, quality control, and good customer service the flexibility that gives a company.

I was in Nicholas Smith's Trains in Broomall, PA, and he had a 4 car UP set of heavyweights for $789.  Looks like he still has it in stock as of 12-15-2014:  http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/store/product/42235/ART-UP-4-CAR-SET/

From experience,  I think the newest run of heavyweights are a lot better than the previous run.  The lighting circuit and the inclusion of the MU plugs is what, in my opinion, makes the latest release that much better. 

Painting these cars is not really that bad. The roof comes off with 4 screws.  The trucks are a little trickier due to the wiring (and version you start with).  I used blue painters tape to mask the windows, and it was really pretty simple. Then, spray.  On the last car I painted, in 2011, I even removed all the brass pieces and painted those separately.