Bachmann 1:20.3 2-8-0 ?

jime

I have a chance to buy a Bachmann 1:20.3 2-8-0 Spectrum Model, unlettered, like new.

What is it worth?confused.png

I haven't seen it yet but was informed it is in new condition. 

What should I look for when I get there to look at it?

It's been a long time since I've looked for these and I just don't remember what these were selling for.  Last price I see on line was just under $600.00 but I thought they were cheaper than that.  I recall that this engine had issues with the main axle gear cracking (it's made of plastic) so that is the one thing I would look for.  Replacements are available and I think an all metal version may be available as well.

If I remember correctly they were once selling for under $300 (even $225 on a sale--I was helping someone find one back around 2009), which was a great deal even at the time! I have no idea what they are worth now. I heard a dealer complain about the gearing and having a hard time with slow speed, but I know several people who have them and are quite happy with them. I've seen them run pretty slow.

Which 2-8-0? Bachmann made two versions. The early version that I think most folks are talking about is the "outside frame" version, also called the "Connie" in large scale circles. Here's mine (albeit slightly modified):

firemanthreequarter.JPG

I've seen them go anywhere from $250 - $500 depending on the demand at the time. They've been out of production for at least 10 years, but you can still find new-in-box versions that have been sitting idle. As was mentioned, the "weak link" in this loco is the main drive gear on the axle. It's prone to cracking. Bachmann offers a brass replacement gear and axle combination for $10, which is a worthwhile investment. You needn't replace the axle until the gear breaks, but know that there's a high likelihood that the gear will break and this way you have a good replacement ready to go. Mine is a workhorse, and runs very smoothly.

The newer 2-8-0 came out around 2 years ago, and is a model of a D&RGW C-19, an "inside frame" 2-8-0. Here's a photo of mine (again, with minor cosmetic changes):

TRR505.jpg

This one goes for $750 - $900. It's easily in the top 10% of locomotives on the market. Good, strong motor and gears (all metal gearbox), and detailed to the hilt.

You'll not go wrong with either one.

Later,

K

Hopefully I will find out tomorrow if we can work out a time to meet.

Thank You Kevin, now I have some thing to go by when I see it.

I will post some pictures after I see it.

Jim

Well here is what we bought for under $600.

1 - Aristo Craft #11200 RH Manual Switch Track in box.

1 - Bachmann #92502 side dump car in box.

1 - AMS  #8268 box car in box.

1 -Spectrum 0-4- 0 Side Porter #82597 Midwest Mining Co. in box

1 - Baldwin Industrial 2-6-0 Mogul #91552 Midwest Quarry & Mining Co. #3 in box (never been on a track till tonight) 

1 - 2-8-0 Narrow Gauge Consolidation #81299 Painted, Unlettered in box (the drive gear is striped) OUTSIDE FRAME

And a bunch of track connectors and other items he had left.

Well how did I do for my first deal?