Curve radius question

jime

Is there a chart to help me figure out the size track I need?

I have laid out a track to start in spring but I don't do metric.

I have 2 - 15' curves but what is that in metric?

Thank You for any help with this.

Jim

Thank You Chuck

What I am looking for is some type of a printable chart that gives what a curve measured in feet would be in metric?

Like in the description you linked, but for all size curves.

18000 R5 15' Diameter Wide Radius Curved Track 

That way as I change things I know what curves to order.

Jim

• 1 year later...

A meter is about 3,208 feet. So 15 foot diameter would be about 2,65 meter radius; Most engines were designed to negociate 360' radius curves found in engine terminals, wyes and yards. In real life that scales out to  Ten to 11 foot radius curves in 1/32 scale. These curves had to be negociated at crawling speed with the real railroads, but because there is just about as much play in models as in real life and hardly any centrifugal forces at play, our engines generally sail through these radius curves  at cruising speed. Which would tip over a real engine. Using largest radius has many advantages: Less drag on your motive power, no problems with doubleheading or pushers, Much more reliable operation in reverse, close coupling alowed, Far superior appearance of engine and cars on the curve. Indoors space is often at a premium, but out of doors it usually is possible to accomodate larger curves. I know of some garden lines for live steam with ten meters radius thats around 34' radius! Make the curves as large as you can. You won't regret it. Also if you run live steam which are often difficult to control without radio control, You must strive for ten foot radius minimum. An engine which accidentally uncouples from it's train turns into a rocket.

• 2 weeks later...

I would urge you to take a look at code 250 track. Fits the train models much better, gets away from the toy look of the code 332. Get a piece, set a car/engine on it and see what you think. SVRR and Accucraft have it as does Llagas creek. Mine is all SVRR and they make great switches.