Pioneer Zephyr Run

Jerry B44

I first saw a picture of one in an early GR back in 89. Never thought I could get one till one day I decided to write to Robert's Lines and see if he had any left. He had one, did not run and the center coach was not a good match to the other coaches-guess there were some variations in the crude plating process they used in Korea on them.  Takes a little work to keep them going, you can see more pictures and the work I did on them on my web page, under the projects button.

http://thescrr.com/rollingstock.html

• 6 months later...

Hey Jerry what  a showpiece!

When I was a kid my parents had a house near the end of Buzzards bay in Massachussets, and since I liked trains they would drop me off at Eddaville in the morning and pick me up at closing time. There was a fantastic unit wich was the Boston and Maine's repplica of the Zephyr which it called the Minutman I used to spend hours climbing all over it and it was a real beautiful piece of equipment.

Later when I returned to france I discovered that at the same time Renault the french auto manufacturer did a huge series of railcars for the French railways, that had a very similiar esthetic. in particular one of the series called ABJ 3.post-50-0-81088700-1454889690.jpg

I built a model of a different version with the radiators under the windsheild called ABJ 1 it was the first series built around 1934. As when I photographed it it was with photo film I dont have a digital image of it. but I will do one tomorow and post it. Because it's late in the evening, gotta hit the sack.  it is in PLM blue and grey, in its original state, after the war the SNCF put buffers on them and it disfigured them. They were then painted red and cream.

Neat train, I like different stuff. Got a Baldwin Shark A unit a few years back and made it. Now they are bringing out a B unit, so will do that and use it as a battery car.  In the latest issue of Garden Railways Magazine, there is a picture of a scratch built Yankee Clipper(it was like the Zephyer)  quite a job to do that, looked nice.

As promissed here is the model I made in 1/32 scale of the Renault ABJ1 railcar. It is built of styreene was made about 18 years ago and still runs fine, it was on the cover of the G1MRA newsletter back then.

The protoypes where Diesel and had a mechanical transmition; which was great when you traveled on them, because the engeneer would pass the gears and when he was starting the unit, it almost stalled when he lifted the clutch.

The same layout was used untill postwar where the latest had their power boosted from 300hp. to 500hp., they could haul trailers too. Then in 1948 the SNCF used the same power chain on the cars that had one cab on the roof top and were unsymetric. As they were the first railcars the SNCF painted bright Vermillion red and cream (so they could be seen on the numerous ungarded RR crossings on branch lines) the French railway men nicknamed them Picassos! Yet they werent as handsome as these streamlined beauties were. There was over two hundred of them made and used by French railways. They were not, as their esthetics would suggest, high speed units, hardly going over 60 mph.  The French Doodlebug, I also scratchbuilt in brass the Lartigue post-50-0-93229200-1454951641_thumb.jpgsemaphore signal in the background of the second photo:

As promissed here is the model I made in 1/32 scale of the Renault ABJ1 railcar. It is built of styreene was made about 18 years ago and still runs fine, it was on the cover of the G1MRA newsletter back then.

The protoypes where Diesel and had a mechanical transmition; which was great when you traveled on them, because the engeneer would pass the gears and when he was starting the unit, it almost stalled when he lifted the clutch.

The same layout was used untill postwar where the latest had their power boosted from 300hp. to 500hp., they could haul trailers too. Then in 1948 the SNCF used the same power chain on the cars that had one cab on the roof top and were unsymetric. As they were the first railcars the SNCF painted bright Vermillion red and cream (so they could be seen on the numerous ungarded RR crossings on branch lines) the French railway men nicknamed them Picassos! Yet they werent as handsome as these streamlined beauties were. There was over two hundred of them made and used by French railways. They were not, as their esthetics would suggest, high speed units, hardly going over 60 mph.  The French Doodlebug, I also scratchbuilt in brass the Lartigue post-50-0-93229200-1454951641_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-72133400-1454951827_thumb.jpgsemaphore signal in the background of the second photo:

The same layout was used untill postwar where the latest had their power boosted from 300hp. to 500hp., they could haul trailers too. Then in 1948 the SNCF used the same power chain on the cars that had one cab on the roof top and were unsymetric. As they were the first railcars the SNCF painted bright Vermillion red and cream (so they could be seen on the numerous ungarded RR crossings on branch lines) the French railway men nicknamed them Picassos! Yet they werent as handsome as these streamlined beauties were. There was over two hundred of them made and used by French railways. They were not, as their esthetics would suggest, high speed units, hardly going over 60 mph.  The French Doodlebug, I also scratchbuilt in brass the Lartiguepost-50-0-72133400-1454951827_thumb.jpg post-50-0-93229200-1454951641_thumb.jpgsemaphore signal in the background of the second photo: