PRR T1 kitbash from 2 Hudsons

rbrown7713

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cab came out perfect, couldn't ask for more, but I had to modify the mold a little.  As you can see in the pictures, I made some channels in the upper part of the urethane mold insert to relieve the pressure as I am forcing the inside mold piece in.  Also I added a square piece to the center of the roof and made the center of the roof thin so that I could angle both sides out so that the windows would clear the mold without breaking anything and it worked perfectly.  I will fill in the void with plastic and ca to restore the integrity of the roof and that is it. As it turned out, the wood insert for flexibility of the mold was not necessary with the new additions to the mold.   All that work for one cab, oh well who's idea was this anyway. Bob.

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

I could, but that means machining 4 more rods, buying 2 more Hudsons, altering two more gear boxes, buying two more tenders, and so on, and so on.  Not to mention another electronic setup and another 2000.00, no,  one is enough. Bob.

Yes, that is true,  at least I won't have to go on Ebay to find parts.  I am sort of a stand still until I get my cnc machine running again. It is interesting how many different views that I get on what is wrong with my machine.  I have been told that it is a motion controller, well I have a diagnostic disc and I ran it and the motion card checks out good.  I have been told that it is the power supply and I am going with that one because the dc output voltages are low, so I have ordered a power supply for it, so we will see if that works, then, will look at the motion board. Today, I will attempt to fit the cab to the shell and see how that goes.  Bob.

BOB, having been involved with electronics all my working life, trouble shooting can be very frustrating.  At times the problem with one component can easily bring down several others.  when you think you got it and replace a component, the one you just replaced can easily be destroyed due to the underlying issue.  I do feel your frustration and wish you well.   Stay Well                                

Well, the cnc is back online.  It appears that the control files were corrupted and I finally found the program, put it in the floppy drive and rebooted and wow, the machine came alive.  I think that the low voltage of the old power supply was part of the problem of corrupting the files because of the low voltage, but with the new power supply and the reboot, it is fine now. Now I can get on with making the mold for the side skirts with rivets. Bob.

Bob thank you for the good news.   If the power supply was below the required amount, it could have acted like a 'brown down' which would corrupt the software.  Some power supplies have a 'safety' to trip if the voltage drops below the safe point.     stay well

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.  I am about to install a floppy to usb stick emulator so that I may use a usb stick instead of a floppy, this will be interesting. If you have any knowledge of this type of install, let me know, Bob.

So you are another Bondo user, I love the stuff.  While at Home Depot yesterday got in a conversation with a gentleman who told me about "Epoxy Lite" , not sure LITE is the correct spelling.  He said it was as strong as Bondo but much lighter, he uses it in his airplanes.  Are you familiar with it?   thank you   

No, I am not familiar with that product, but I will try it out.  The main factors are cost and if I can machine it well.  Thanks, I will try it, but so far, the Bondo has worked out well, and it sets up fast, sometimes too fast, because I am slow.  I am having to repaint the molds for the viaduct outdoor railway because the wood/plywood is starting to come apart.  The urethane is holding up well, but not the wood.  When a section of wood completely lets go, I am replacing with oak, if I can.  I should have used solid wood in the first place. Bob.

Bob, I have tried to research the stuff, and always either came up with something that made no sense to our hobby or the $ was way off base.    Can you direct me to any postings you have about your viaduct's, sound familiar but not sure.  thank you.