Logging cars

Dash 8

Hello, found a great pic…

Their large sawmill operation was located at Pino Grande, originally spelled Pinogrande and pronounced a Pie No Grande. Located approximately 18 miles northeast of Placerville, CA the operations lasted until the late 1940s. The mill had the capacity to produce 200,000 board feet of cut lumber every 10 hours, and that was in 1910. From Pino Grande the rough cut lumber was sent to their mill in Camino, CA. To get to that mill the lumber had to traverse a 1,200 foot high canyon, via a cable tramway. The cable way was built in 1901, burned down twice and after the second time in 1949, was never rebuilt.

Update:

Cable car

Camino

Regards

Jan

F21CA269-A526-444F-99FB-161001854742.jpeg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jan, great pic and thank you very much for the narrative.  That is a lot of wood to cut in 10 hours, must have been organized chaos in that shop.  AND the cable lift must have been economically profitable for them to rebuild it after the fire.  Can easily see the 'come-along' strap tighteners around the cut lumber, and the guy hitching a ride looks like he is having a good time too, maybe headed into town for some R&R. 

Bug says. HI!    

Hello, the little things find each other, doing that takes longer than building a car... Square nuts with plates... Primer and varnish. Some things didn't work out right away, that goes to my nerves..., but still it's still fun. Thank you

Regards

Jan, Max and Moritz :)

ED821E69-8A80-4DDB-B602-6DD3F10C34B5.jpeg

22B28111-BE20-4D28-BF79-E43DFE835388.jpeg

FD7D4237-A899-4138-83C4-E04D72854F9D.jpeg

D9A5C05E-61B6-45AE-B5EE-83D449786C20.jpeg

Hello, Nick this is purely a matter of nerves, just like the grandchildren... come.

On one side, the parts are together, still has to fix it and some color is still missing. And of course, as always, there must be some rust and dirt. So really noodled shortly before scrapping.

Regards

Jan, Max and Moritz 

Greets to Bug :)

A76C1ADE-8A24-4D25-A28F-E7BC2F2071B4.jpeg

2D92C4D1-194C-45E1-8D2E-CFAEBC2F6F9A.jpeg

3A6E8850-D8BE-4A83-809B-75BF441996F0.jpeg

NOW I see it.  The turnbuckles near the bottom of the rod tighten the load down, not what I had expected but better.  Still looking for what I can use for loads.  If I cut the wood I have on the table saw will create more saw dust than cut lumber.  Still looking. 

Hello Nick, I'll show you which machines I work with. I don't really like circular saws, too loud and make a lot of chips. For my small things I always take a scroll saw, narrow blade, little chips. With a little practice, even long straight cuts succeed. And no tears in wood. For grinding I have a disc grinder, and for metal a small milling machine. Maybe you get wooden strips and cut them to length.

Regards

Jan, Max and Moritz 

CB588BAA-771D-401C-887C-C31F7AF49EE5.jpeg

7E88BD8E-2F59-4CB7-BDF4-A199BBE7DF8B.jpeg

42D7588B-E95F-44F4-9B3D-1AA25EEBC17C.jpeg

Very nice tools, I have a similar scroll saw.  The milling machine looks to be very useful.   Will check out the craft shops to see what they carry that will look like a decent load of cut lumber.

EDIT: I have a very similar vice, accept mine doesn't have the fancy design on the side, and it looks like you removed the pivoting base??

Hello Nick, you mean the blue vice, which is from Matador, not rotatable. This afternoon I'm trying a sketch for an advertising sign or Billboard, I hope that will be good.

Regards

Jan

B5C58796-FB83-4920-BD0E-85C1FEBCE4C1.jpeg

Hello, Nick I used the bolder  font at the top right, looks better :).I hope that bug likes his new company, he has two helpers with him. What I'm going to do is a bit dirt etc.

Regards

Jan, Max and Moritz 

31768E58-3480-4F4A-B644-8DA3B2C4E82B.jpeg

676A82F8-F1CE-45D2-9752-E0C5D298647B.jpeg

6C658C77-F18E-4387-92F3-E9611C861313.jpeg

Jan, I like the bill board sign with the dogs.  I went to a Craft Store to see what they offered that would look like a decent cut lumber load, price shock.   Think I'll cut up some paint stirring sticks that are FREE at Home Depot stores.     

'upper right' is another way to say 'top right',   I guess things can get confused in translation, I'll try to be more clear.    

As far as I have read, the price of wood is normal again, yes we both chose the same font. Maybe you know a carpenter, they always have something in the corner....

There is veneer wood with up to 4mm thick, called saw veneer, that would be another possibility, which looks as a stack like a sawn-up tree.

Regards

Jan

88D04107-30AA-45DA-8FC7-22DCC2F6B378.jpeg

Just this morning I went to the local Home Depot.  Found Quart Paint Stir Sticks.  Compared to what I found at the craft store yesterday, these are Bigger, Twice as many (30) in the package and Cost 1/3 the price.  I had a few of the craft store ones left from another project to compare.  I bought more than enough for all three Skelton cars. I now have to add the additional deck braces and may copy your 'turnbuckle' tie down system. 

fullsizeoutput_527.jpeg

ky63WLBPSNa7ngxVcv6I1A.jpg

21 hours ago, Dash 8 said:

Hello, Nick I used the bolder  font at the top right, looks better :).I hope that bug likes his new company, he has two helpers with him. What I'm going to do is a bit dirt etc.

Regards

Jan, Max and Moritz 

6C658C77-F18E-4387-92F3-E9611C861313.jpeg

Cool sign! 

The old wooden box cars that had advertising signs painted on their sides were faded from the weather, these are new so will be bright.

I am gluing and clamping them together in stacks of 30.  I am hoping to cut them on the scroll saw as one piece instead of cutting each one individually.  I plan on using the cuts as the ends of center stacks that will have no middle. That's the best I could put it into words, tomorrow's pic will better explain it. Also have to make a new frame to hold cut lumber.

I understand all this, in the beginning I also wanted to leave the middle free, but I had more than enough material. I cut 8 pieces for one layer at a time and then glued them up. 400 pieces. That now has a decent weight. At the moment the chassis is being made old.

Regards

Jan

WOW, 400 pieces, mine will not have that many, maybe 100 at the most.  Weight is the reason I want to leave the center empty.  I mostly run live steam locomotives, and my logging loco's are geared, but still not as powerful as electric locomotives.  To keep the planks all in line while gluing I am stacking them in a miter box before clamping.  Going to try cutting them tomorrow with a fine blade.  

I tried gluing and clamping them together in a stack, cut the rounded ends off.  Don't like the look, just not random enough. I even stained them, still not happy with the look.   I think I will have to manually cut the rounded ends off then stack them without clamping them. That means at least 120/car????   Need to find something else.  

Hi Nick, got it, I cut 8 together, without glue, just held together by hand. The next 8 a little shorter and so on. Then everything thrown into a box and mixed. And then glued together. For me, almost all of them are of different lengths. It looks like the picture of the cablecar.
I didn't measure anything, all build by eye,just have to stay on the property...

Try it, :)

Regards

Jan