Logging cars

Dash 8

I made some progress yesterday.  I'm sure every one agrees that the stacks in the first pic while looking OK from the side, the ends just look too fake.  I have a 'chop' tool that I've used to make repetitive cuts on small items.  With it I can only chop ONE stick at a time, each end.  60 chops/stack, 4 stacks/car, you do the math as my hand won't allow me to.  Going to put the finest blade I have in the scroll saw and take your advice, 8 at a time.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  Just to add to the 'pleasure', I wasted 6 stacks thinking I had a winning method.  I went back to the store and they only had ONE.  Computer said 34 in stock, but didn't say where.  The associate advised me to "come back tomorrow when Mike is working", Went back home and took out my frustration on another stack.  Still Havin' Fun.   OPEN to any suggestions on how to salvage the smooth ended ones, I tried a couple of things without success.

Thank You

uzSlzSGvTK6m9hcQUj%YaA.jpg

8mETCb4ZTkW+2LO85XYkbg.jpg

7K8i8gTdTD6FMs6vhlQjhw.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jan, nice idea, but I like the look of the uneven ends.  I already did two bundles in less time it took for me to do one with the chopper.  I have to dress the ends with a piece of fine sand paper, I guess my blade isn't as fine as I had hoped.  I do like the results, and my arthritic hands appreciate it too.  I have a very light stain I applied to the smooth end bundles in hopes of salvage, like the look so most likely do the good ones to look more like the stack of darker wood that you sent a pic of. 

BTW: Can use the bad stacks for kindling in the wood stove. 

Hi Nick, for the Oven, I wouldn't do that. Maybe you have another idea. The black wood on my car is ebony. Had a few leftovers, which gives a good contrast to the charge and eliminates the need for coloring.

Regards

Jan

Thank you for the tinting ideas, the wood stove is used for heating only. 

I am only doing one thing different, stopped using the scroll saw as the blade isn't fine enough.  Went to using a 32 TPI hack saw blade.  Still using the 8 piece bundles and mixing in a box as Jan described.  32 TPI blade makes a much finer cut.  Really liking the look.   You can see the difference, the left bundle was with the finer saw, the right bundles with the scroll saw, and sand paper.     

zHom%j6uQOWrY%+shhqqFQ.jpg

About salvaging the smooth ended ones.

When I look at them they look like 2 modern massive wooden beams since there is no indication of separation between the layers (just looking at the ends). If you gently press a knife or something to make a mark where the “planks” meet maybe the eye will see a stack of planks instead. The mark just have to make the light create a shadow. They will still be planks of identical size aligned lengthwise. I can imagine Bug’s Doghouses cutting planks to a specific length and when one plank is cut it is pushed to the side and falls on top of the previous one. Guided lengthwise but not so well side wise.

This type of load is probably for another type of car but I don’t know.

I can’t do things like this – but I admire those who can and like watching what you produce. Hence it doesn't feel right for me to give advice but you did ask for ideas.

blid, I know of the type of beams you wrote about.  Laminated layers of wood which turn out to be even stronger than if made of one solid piece, have seen them in transit on trucks. This load is rough cut directly from the logging mill.  If used as laminated beams it is still a useful load for a different car and not wasted, I like the idea.   I could use your idea of marking them so it looks like several of them. 

Don't ever hesitate to suggest or share an idea you may have.  It may be useful as stated or lead to another idea some one else may have.  I can't tell you how many of my projects started with a suggestion pertaining to something else, or even a joke.  THANK YOU

Hello, I didn't understand everything but laminated wood is too new, that didn't exist before, I think. But what has been around for a long time are glulam binders, even before 1900. That would be a plausible load of wood. These are already cut into shape. The first models could thus be turned into glulam beams, divided once longitudinally and once transversely. Smooth all surfaces and you have 4 binders each. That looks realistic. But it's just an idea...

Edit:

In June 1906, master carpenter Karl Friedrich Otto Hetzer received the Pantent No. 197773 for curved, glued beams made of two or more slats. That was the birth of modern timber engineering 100 years ago.

Nick, the pic with load looks very good for me, it comes nicely.

Regards

Jan

Jan, I had to look up 'glulam', that is exactly what I was talking about. 

Def:  Lamination is the technique/process of manufacturing a material in multiple layers, so that the composite material achieves improved strength, stability, sound insulation, appearance, or other properties from the use of the differing materials, such as plastic. Wikipedia
    Same article stated it was first used in 1842 and 1844 in Northumberland England.  Also Josiah Poole designed a ceiling in 1866 which is still standing.  Hetzer got his patent in 1872.   
      Sean, Plywood, which goes by many names, also started in England 1797, so that's been around even longer.  
     Lately the term 'laminate' is used to mean a surface covering of a different material than what the item is really made of, or the clear covering on a document.  Like the cheap cabinets in my kitchen, made of composite wood 'laminated' with paper printed to look like wood. 
   So a flat car with those beams would be era correct almost since the beginning of RR in America.   I was thinking more in the era of the modern Steam Locomotive, on it's way to becoming a Church or Meeting Hall.    In any case they are not going to be wasted.
BTW: it was fun digging into history.  
  blid:  now got me thinking of making those beams curved to make a large cathedral ceiling!!  See how one suggestion morphs into a whole project.  

Sorry, we're probably all talking about the same thing here, just in different terms. Here this is called ( Leimbinder , or Brettschichtholz ). My translator turns it into glulam ....:) 

Same things…

Regards

Jan

Yes we are.  The same item called maybe 3 different things in each language, not to mention 'slang' terms used.   

Car Loads:   Decided that two cars with the flat board load is enough.  The third will be full length timbers, same square as RR ties, on the way to the treatment facility.  

Sean, that's a GREAT idea, but I am not a scenery person.  And you will not tempt me into it like you did with the Hudson River Barge.  Although I did enjoy that project.  Barge named after your dog TANK and the tug named after mine, TRINITY, memorials for great companions. 

TRUE, but I'm not a scenery guy, don't have an eye for that sort of art, look what it took just to weather the wheels on my Skelton cars, and I still remember what it took to get the sides of the barge to look like it had been in the water.  Plus my track is elevated, I can get down, but not back up.  Still having fun!  and appreciate your suggestions.    

Hello, today it rains all day....Time for the rest of the work. Most of it is done, a special thanks to Nick with Bug  for always friendly comments, it gave me a lot of pleasure. Thank you for your attention.

Regards

Jan, Max and Moritz :)

2099495F-600A-4FED-931E-03A0EA7A9366.jpeg

Jan, finished product looks great.  You gave me some good ideas and guidance for the ones I am building, much appreciated.   

Rain all day here also, so I made some progress on the load that will be used for RR Ties.  I made it hollow inside so it would be lighter.  

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on anything you are building. 

Bug and I send Well Wishes to you and the Pups.

fullsizeoutput_548.jpeg

z30auxjtT3+0vaQ+fxKmOA.jpg

Hello Nick, these are heavy bars, they have to be secured, that looks very good. Maybe a cross beam with two holes and then stretch downwards, you have an eyelet there, that should work well. This is how I would do it....:), what does Bug say about it? I painted in your picture, I hope I won't be shot...:)

Regards

Jan with Max and Moritz 

605F8043-383A-4F69-97AA-C1D89EBE124C.jpeg

Jan, yes not finished yet.  Trying to fashion the turn buckles like you did, I will need about 20 of them, 8 each on the cars with the boards and 4 on this one.  Maybe take a ride to the Hobby shop for some aluminum tubing. 

Best to you, Max and Moritz