Question about MTH F7, 2013 edition

SteamPower4ever

I rum my MTH trains on SVRR code 250 track and have no problems at all. My switches are also SVRR and no problems with the sliders on them. Their ground throws are great also, I always broke the othery type.

Why not just put a plug and socket connector between the powered A units to the unpowered B unit to power the smoke units??   I do that for my USA F3 AA powered units to multiply the power pickups  so it is stable over uneven track or turnouts.  

Still dreaming about those F7s - and adding sound to the B units:

In real life, how were the engines of an ABBA lashup started?

Did the engineer start the motor in each unit one by one, or was there a central start button (or whatever) in the lead cab?

Jens

Start them one by one  :)

• 4 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

Hi : I have since my last post on this turned down the flanges on my F3, and to my surprise this was a very easy proposition to do, I did the whole A-B-A set in one rainy day. It had become necessary because I am improving some 30 year old track which I run on which has oak ties. I am using copper electrician wire to make U shaped rail fixings (spikes) these are inserted into 4 holes drilled in new oak wood ties from the underside and are just bent over the rail flange, making a very sturdy rail to tie fixing that wont slide out and will permit me to renovate my original track by inserting one new tie between each older ones. This will also make my track look more US style with much closer tie spacing. Anyways the old deep MTH flanges bumped slightly when going over that test section so I decided to turn them down too. The original MTH wheels are nice when you reduce the flange depth, no need to put NWSL wheels on them instead. These are made of a nice easy turning brass. I started by the wheels on the dummy B unit. I took one wheel off the axle with a drill press. turned the other wheel by trimming off the excess in four or five passes, then with a metal file putting a v shape on the back of the wheel (around 15°) and then rounding off the flange with the file. Then punch that wheel out and press on the other  repeat and your done. To do the loco I kept the last dummy axle on which I pressed all the wheels of both A units, ditto. You have to make light cuts so as not to start the wheel turning around the axle; if your tool grips the flange pull it out. it only happened a few times and with attention it is very easy to do. I do it on my brass mth car wheels (impossible on the gray -Stainless? ones). And have even done my first Accucraft wheelset for one box car. Have 9 more to go... As I do live steam and still hope to scratch build a live steam lockey or two before meeting with the great chief, I have bought a lathe and am learning how to use it, these are fine beginners exercises. Sorry I didn't make any good close ups of the loco. Will try to do some to post. I had a pretty small modeling year as I had to take care of my father who was very bad with Alzheimer. He passed away last fall.