Turbine powered locomotive

Screwy Nick

Love to see Max & Moritz.  Know what you mean about UPDATES, all in the name of improvement, many times is not the case.  If you would like me to change the wording of something that is not clear, just underline it and I'll do my best to put it into different words.  Please Stay Well

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Realized all I was doing was raising the torque to the starting point of the motor, but that's as far as it was going to go, additonal pressure only brought the power up slightly. Time to remove some gears so I have more 'elasticity' over the operating pressure range I am looking for. Wheels start at same voltage with almost the same pressure, and increasing the pressure increases the voltage. More gear changes in my furture. I did add a small digital volt meter I stumbled on, will be a perfect addition to the rear of the engine I install this in so can see the generater output. 

NOTE: large gear just before the generater is only a spacer to bring the movement further out to reach it, the final ratio before that is the same as the gen, so there is no RPM change. 

I'm having fun and learning at the same time.  I'm sure a more learned person would sit down with pencil & paper figure the whole thing out in an hour.  

Now down to 1 compound gear then the generater, changed gears each time bigger, reached a peak then more teeth and started to loose.  No videos, they'd all look the same, pressure gauge, v meter and wheels,  but all documented so I don't go over the same ground again. Much more to come, still appreciative of any guidance or suggestions, thank you. 

Think I'm closer than ever.  changed one gear on the first compound gear and added a much larger gear to the generator.  This is the most power with the least pressure so far.  Started the video at 28 lbs pressure, wasn't sure how far it would go, I was pleasantly surprised when just 2 more lbs made such a difference.  THINK I can bring it down even further. Can clearly hear when the wheels start rotating and the drag is taken off the generator.  Turbine whines up.

EDIT:  subsequent tests showed with patience the wheels actually started at 28lbs.  Just 2, but thrilled me.  

04/24: found what I consider the best all around gear ratio: Turbine 10 mesh 30 compound 20 mesh 30 mesh 50 on generater. Produced power to start the wheels at 30lbs pressure 1.5V. Power went up in 2 lb increments, 2.4V, 3.3V, 4.0V. stopped there as plastic frames started to show stress. Now that I have what I believe is the best ratio, want to try one that was built to be a generater, less rotational resistance. 

I think the little digital meter is off a little, but acceptable.  

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting inconstant results from one day to the next.  Being hearing impaired can't go by sound to approximate speed, SO, fund this little inexpensive 'non contact tachometer'.  So simple, put a piece of reflective tape on the thing spinning and read the display.  Break away point for the truck is 600 RPMs which produces about 1.89V. And it has proven the RPM's are all over the place, with the same amount of pressure, and of course the power follows.  Yesterday afternoon 28lbs pressure was doing the job, this morning have to increase pressure to 34??????  Am at a loss.                                                                              

Didn't think I could go wrong for $20.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't given up yet, but did find the 'generator' I was testing is defective.  While it will produce 2V and start the wheels moving at 30 lbs pressure and showed promise.  Advertised as developing 12 - 34, ??  Connected it via a U joint, driving it with the Pittman and it won't produce more than 3V.  Sent supplier Email and have a replacement in transit.   

Hello Nick, we also suspect that the generator generates too little voltage, stay tuned, we'll see what happens.

Greets

Jan with Max and Moritz to you and Bug._com.apple.Pasteboard.tZ7Ra9.thumb.jpeg.2702c98d3dbe3afeec70ad68f3c657aa.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Jan, tell Max and Moritz they were correct.  Received the replacement generator, drove it with an electric motor.   Tests show it produces 3V at only 815 rpm, and it climbs to 20 at 4100 rpm.  Means I have to go back to beginning with the gears to give a reasonable range of speed.  This also means will take much less pressure to produce the needed power. Things lookin' up.    

quick update:  connected new generator to turbine.  Turbine produces so little torque was struggling to even get to minimum output.  I connected so it is driven by the Pittman to break it in some.  Seems to be working, keeping power pack stable, the RPM's and output are slowly rising.  Couple hours in both directions should do the trick. 1038460613_TQpJXQRWkITNFEAsw.thumb.jpg.43762fc69a51f049adcbda5b7a9fd3fd.jpg  

Have not given up:  found it has a rotational preference, CCW seems to give less drag.  The RPM's no matter what direction it is turning produce the same power.  Now that I have a working one also realize the torque required to move is more, so going back to square 1 with the gears, not thrilled, still determined.

• 2 weeks later...

PAZGRR, thank you for your kind words.  Have had fun over the years.  Really haven't fully given up on the Turbine 'thing'.  When I pass that hobby bench and do a little something in hopes of stumbling onto something.  Did some testing with the Tach as far as the turbine itself, again inconsistant results.  On the + side finally installed a filter/water remover on the compressor discharge.  Removing the moisture doesn't make much sense as when I use steam!!!!!!  

• 3 weeks later...

I THINK found the reason for inconstant results:   depended where the motor stopped, if it would start on low voltage on next run, or if I tapped the brick.   Realized what I may need is a pulse wave to kind of kick start it.  And yes it worked every time, till I over loaded it.  Have parts on order for a more robust unit. One more up swing on the roller coaster named Turbine.