preparing the roadbed

enginear joe

It seems like it's not the track's length so much as it is the number of joints, number of active engines, and power loss over great distances. I believe I'm up to around 800' and still need to add the yards.

I ran star type wiring and all is fine. I still have to build yards to hold trains so I expect I'll need more TIU channels to keep the strength. I believe I'll end up with three TIUs total. I will have to see.

Wow! Where to start?

Star wiring isn't needed...infact it's a waste of $$$ and wire for us. Why you ask?? The o gauge crowd with their tubular track and slip pin connectors/joiners with ac power almost have to use star wiring. How many topics are started on o gauge track and it's bad connectors?

We don't have those problems with using solid rail and mechanical connectors (split jaw, hillmans etc). Our track when joined this way is exactly the same as a piece of wire. The only problem we have is voltage drop because stainless steel isn't the best conductor for electron flow. To supplement voltage loss we/ I use jumpers...that is we use #12 wire to jump from rail joiner to rail joiner. This way the wire only needs to help the rails maintain a set voltage...the jumpers don't carry the load. What voltage the track fails to maintain the wires makeup for. 

number of active engines, and power loss over great distances

Those are directly related to voltage loss. Code 332 rail along with using #12 wire together combines to form like a #8 wire or larger which is rated for something like 60 - 70 amps...you sure ain't gonna be up in that range!

Both those loops are divided into four blocks each. I would guess that each loop is maybe 300' long.

Why use a command system and then wire it up for blocks? 300' divided into 4 blocks?? That's less than 80' per block for DCS to signal. Again Raymond signaled 1400' of track with a lonely pair of feeders. I signal 100' of rail with a set of feeders.

More power feeds isn't the answer as that will only lead to too much DCS signal...now your into multiple commands being received like double horn toots etc.

Ever wonder why MTH recommends to the DCS Techs that when using a programming track to load soundfiles to use DC power and have 25' of wire between the TIU & track?? That is because DC power is stable and the wire is to lessen the DCS signal otherwise the TIU is shouting to the PS2 boards. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! Where to start?

Star wiring isn't needed...infact it's a waste of $$$ and wire for us. Why you ask?? The o gauge crowd with their tubular track and slip pin connectors/joiners with ac power almost have to use star wiring. How many topics are started on o gauge track and it's bad connectors?

Wrong. It would take far more wire to follow the mainlines and sidings around with buss wiring. That would be a waste when the Aristo stainless is such a good conductor.

I run O gauge and don't have any bad connections?

We don't have those problems with using solid rail and mechanical connectors (split jaw, hillmans etc). Our track when joined this way is exactly the same as a piece of wire. The only problem we have is voltage drop because stainless steel isn't the best conductor for electron flow. To supplement voltage loss we/ I use jumpers...that is we use #12 wire to jump from rail joiner to rail joiner. This way the wire only needs to help the rails maintain a set voltage...the jumpers don't carry the load. What voltage the track fails to maintain the wires makeup for. 

So if you have solid rail, why use buss wiring at all?

Those are directly related to voltage loss. Code 332 rail along with using #12 wire together combines to form like a #8 wire or larger which is rated for something like 60 - 70 amps...you sure ain't gonna be up in that range!

I don't use #12. It's too large and not needed. I find that #14 is the sweet spot for DCS. I sure don't need #8.

Why use a command system and then wire it up for blocks? 300' divided into 4 blocks?? That's less than 80' per block for DCS to signal. Again Raymond signaled 1400' of track with a lonely pair of feeders. I signal 100' of rail with a set of feeders.

It is divided to keep signal strong and power drop in check. If you double feeder the same track you'll get signal issues I've found. It is not 80' per TIU channel!

More power feeds isn't the answer as that will only lead to too much DCS signal...now your into multiple commands being received like double horn toots etc.

Isn't that what you're doing with buss wiring?

Ever wonder why MTH recommends to the DCS Techs that when using a programming track to load soundfiles to use DC power and have 25' of wire between the TIU & track?? That is because DC power is stable and the wire is to lessen the DCS signal otherwise the TIU is shouting to the PS2 boards. 

I've never heard that! I can't imagine a PS board complaining about too strong a signal. But hey, I've been wrong before.

I've tried the buss wiring method outside and it didn't work.

I should draw a diagram so you could see how I'm wired. I have about 180' of #14 wire out. You can put two blocks on one wire!