Accucraft 1/32 hoppers

Jerry B44

Jerry,

Accucraft says you can pre-order them with or without "End Scatter Shields".  What is a "End Scatter Shield" on a hopper??

Joe

Hmmm,

looks like all the C&O's have it and the Virginian's don't. Must be some type of plate? I'm just guessing. I would look for prototype photos of the two.

I don't see the sale on the link? maybe on the store website?

Looks like Accucraft is pumping up the masses to buy a Alleghany as they've been offering to make it in C&O and Virginian paint schemes since 2007?? That's the first I seen it advertised in the August 2007 GR St. Aubin ad. Also states winter delivery...guess they should have stated winter 2014? 

If I recall from discussions long ago, the "scatter shields" are those rounded parts on the ends of the cars that stick up over the side of the car, ostensibly to keep the coal from spilling over the ends of the car when being loaded. I've seen hoppers with rounded ends like the C&O cars shown, angled ones (though not symmetrical for reasons unknown to me), and cars without.

It'll be interesting to see how these look next to the MDC/Piko 2-bay hoppers. By the numbers, they should be pretty good together (one being a 2-bay, one being a 3-bay).

Later,

K

Sounds like a logical explanation for the term "end scatter shield".  Probably exactly what they are.  As far as how well the Accurcraft hoppers mate with the MDC/Piko hoppers, I too would think they would match-up pretty good. Main differences are that the Accucraft hoppers will be much more detailed, much more expensive, and much more fragile than the MDC/Piko hoppers. 

Joe