Product Item Number: 70-2101-1
Price: $749.95
Shipped: APR. 2015
Roadname: CSX
Product Description:

Dash-8 Diesel Engine (6-Wheel Truck) With Proto-Sound 3.0 - CSX

Cab Nos. 7862, 7867, 7881

"

Yeah, well, the ATSF F7 AA is still listed for February along with the UP Dash-8, so I guess the dates are still set using darts against the webmaster's door.

We have a saying here that translates into something like "idle leads to all evil". While I've waited for the F7s, I've been looking at pictures of the ATSF streamliners on the web, and I've noticed a lot of ABBBA consists. This made me think that maybe an 4-unit consist would look slightly underpowered, and thus I've gone and ordered one more B unit with Ray.

See? That's what MTH gets from delaying production all the time. Increased revenue. Oh, wait ...

:rolleyes:  B)  :D

Jens

Yes, I agree. I already have plenty of dash 8s. So I ordered a CSX. Then I said I needed another dash so I did it again? I was just looking for an Amtrak to pull all my passenger cars and almost did a third???

I have to stop and save for a Big Boy!! I wonder what the street price will be???

While I've waited for the F7s, I've been looking at pictures of the ATSF streamliners on the web, and I've noticed a lot of ABBBA consists. This made me think that maybe an 4-unit consist would look slightly underpowered, and thus I've gone and ordered one more B unit with Ray.

It seems The SF did whatever it took to get the passenger trains moving. I have video over Raton Pass and they have all kinds of motive power configurations though the most I seen with F units was like 8 units. They'd add more on the front to get up & over Raton...be like a ABAABBBA.

I did have the MTH SF F7 Yellow Bonnets and ran them like you're talking in a ABBBA consist...but I used 2 red striped F3b units with those yellow ones. Had 9 MTH pass. cars behind it  :)

It seems The SF did whatever it took to get the passenger trains moving. I have video over Raton Pass and they have all kinds of motive power configurations though the most I seen with F units was like 8 units. They'd add more on the front to get up & over Raton...be like a ABAABBBA.

Ooooh ... and these videos are on YouTube, yes ?  :)

I did have the MTH SF F7 Yellow Bonnets and ran them like you're talking in a ABBBA consist...but I used 2 red striped F3b units with those yellow ones. Had 9 MTH pass. cars behind it   :)

Chuck, you're killing me here. Pictures, please.  B)

Pretty please.

With a cherry on top ...

Jens

Jens, 

I sold the Yellow bonnets years ago along with all the passenger cars and don't think I ever took any pics/ videos of them :(

I have something like 200+ train dvd's and would say that it's in one of the Santa Fe Odyssey Volumes...but I have 8 different discs...have to check into that!

Meanwhile I found a 6 unit set of ABBBBB pulling the Super Chief into my town of Chicago :)

Go in to around the 6:00 mark...

Don't bother with the DVD collection, Chuck. I haven't bothered to get a new player since the old one died.

But what a great video. I certainly understand the guys that are modeling the Chicago area. There's pretty much everything. I would have loved to do some railfanning in Joliet back in the days. There are tons of great pictures on the web from there and I love the commuter line crossing the main in level at the platform.

One thing I noticed - in the opening scene of the video and elsewhere, I see Milwaukee Road E units, seemingly in UP livery with UP lettering. Does anyone have story on those or is it a non-story and did the two roads just use the same paint service?

Jens

Whew..why the UP yellow Milw. E units...That's NOT an easy question to answer!! :o

The Mighty UP didn't have a Chicago connection back then. The UP tracks stopped at Omaha/ Council Bluffs, IA. The UP contracted the C&NW to haul the passenger trains between Council Bluffs & Chicago. Somewhere in the mid 1950's the UP canceled it's contracts with C&NW because of bad track conditions. The UP then contracted with The Milwaukee Road to haul it's passenger trains between Omaha & Chicago from the 1950's up to the formation of Amtrak in the early 1970's.

So The Milwaukee Road changed it's paint scheme from orange/ black to UP yellow. grey on all of it's passenger equipment. The Milw. E Units in that video would be right after Amtrak took over passenger service....The RTA was also formed to handle the Chicago local commuter traffic. See when Amtrak was formed by the US Govt. all railroads that participated signed a contract stating they would never provide private passenger train service. The railroads got out of the money losing passenger service but created a whole new problem...that being what to do with the commuter lines in and around the major cities as they were technically passenger trains?? Amtrak was only formed to provide long haul service.

Around the early 1970's Chicago the RTA (Regional Transit Service) was formed to take over all the commuter railroads & equipment including but not limited to Union Pacific, Chicago & NorthWestern, Milwaukee Road, Burlington Route (soon to be BN), Rock Island, Chicago SouthShore etc. Only problem with the RTA is it was publically funded and most of the participating rr's were going broke! The public felt that the tax money was bailing out the private rr industry...which it was but the public was riding the commuter trains.

RTA... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Transportation_Authority_(Illinois)

Metra...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metra

The RTA & Metra were formed with equipment it got from the rr's...Those UP yellow E units weren't really Milwaukee Road engines as they were part of Metra's fleet...within a few years they would be painted into Metra blue/ orange...like this  :huh:

post-23-0-75414600-1424725701.jpg

I personally live within a mile of the old Milwaukee Road mainline that ran from Chicago to Omaha. To this day Metra calls it The Milwaukee Road West Line  :)

What a mess. Thanks for the info. US railroad history is a vast new subject for me. Very interesting.

It reminds me of back when the Danish State Railways were split into infrastructure, freight and passenger divisions. The division as such was sensible, but soon after the freight division was sold to a rubber-wheel freight corporation. Care to guess how long it took for a trucking company to close their new rail section? Furthermore, amid the horse-trading of the split, the intermodal terminals became the property of the passenger division. They set the fees so high that no operator would use them. So, today, domestic rail freight is almost gone, and all we have is transit traffic between Sweden and Germany.

Since all the local spurs are no longer being used, infrastructure is tearing them up instead of maintaining them.

Oh, the folly of man ...

Jens

Its about the same in France Jens, the SNCF is almost out of the freight business but has thriving trucking subsidaries...And it is the same process: Using RFF (who is suposed to maintain the track for operators who run the trains on them) is charging such exhorbitant rates to use the tracks that it is cheaper to shut down the whole operation. Furthermore the present governement just passed a law authorising bussing companies to set up routes across France which will now kill the passenger business, which hitherto was the only one that still existed and seemed to have a futur.

The more you look at it, it seems that Americans with their private entreprises who kept alive moving freigh as a commercial proposition and are now recovering quite a chunk of the market now that airports and highways are saturated might weather the storm better than our nationalised railways of Europe that seemed so much ahead only a few years ago still. In the case of France it seems that the management of the nationalised corporation just doesn't know how to do it's job, the incompetence is obvious and the general public has the impression that it is heading into the wall. A few years ago, it seemed that the TGV had blown new hopes of prosperity to railways here, but recent rate hikes of over or nearly 150% in a couple of years have scalped that hope. And now the futur looks bleak to say the least. If you want to go for a few days to the riviera which used to cost about 60 euros round trip now costs over a 175 euros. Nobody can travel by rail any more it is too expensive.

As you say the folly of man, just when everyone is concearned about global warming, pollution, the best transport system is going to be destroyed...

I want one. I don't have the slightest idea as to what I can put behind it. If MTH reads this post, how about a set of superliner cars to go with this beautiful engine. Its just too nice to set on a shelf somewhere. How about it MTH, give us some modern cars to run behind your ever improving line of motive power.

• 3 weeks later...