Rail Broom

Spring is here and the track needs to have the winter debris removed.  I had converted this Aristo Track Cleaning Car to accept the Rail Broom some years ago.  The NiCa 14.4V battery just got too old to hold a charge and also would bog down when the debris was very heavy.  I like Gel Cell batteries for the Amps  they offer.  I re-worked this one using a 12V gel Cell battery and the old Sparkie trick of lowering the voltage using Diodes instead of resistors.   The voltage is brought down to just over 9 and it has all the umph  it needs so as not to stall.  

The LED's on the roof are Radio Shack Yellow and Red Blinking.   This time instead of using AA batteries, I removed the battery holders in window sensors from an alarm system.  

While making the conversation I broke the original wheel assembly that had the axles held together with a plastic sleeve to insulate each rail.  I used a pair of Bachmann wheel sets that are also insulted as I use it to clear both the Electric and LS track.  

I don't see this project going further than it is now, other than to remove all the egg corn shells that the squirrels have deposited on the track.      Thank You.  

post-9-0-42734800-1458238363.jpg

post-9-0-49020900-1458238373.jpg

post-9-0-40667000-1458238385.jpg

post-9-0-88469200-1458238395.jpg