Hudson PS3 board/speaker upgrade

Jerry B44

The new PS3 board really improved the sound on my Hudson.  Not hard to install, two screws,on the rear of the loco bottom and one up into the front of the boiler(have to move the front truck).  Depending on your Hudson you will have to modify the metal holder for the board, but it's not hard.  While it was upside down I also put on new skates and tires. Then I got the speaker upgrade from Ray and that also made a big difference, much better bass. Worth it, I think.  I have code 250 track and the narrower top of the rail puts more pressure on the skated than the 332, but just my theory!

Glad you liked it too Jerry.  PS3 with that upgraded speaker sounds excellent  :)

Bob here is a video I made during one of my tests when I first installed it in my Hudson.  

I love the sound of the playable whistle (which you can hear near the end) and is one of the nice things about the new Wifi control (WIU) is the ease to activate and play.

Video is in 1080p, you may need to manually select that in your youtube settings.

Ray, does the app allow the other controls to be used while playing with the whistle?

The remote gets tied up when the whistle is active.

Also, are u noticing any bugs with 5.0 like engine not on track messages when using the remote?

Joe, yes the app let's you access all functions as normal with Playable whistle set to ON.  Only difference in function is how the whistle sounds.

I haven't noticed any issues with 5.0 with not finding engines or anything like that.  

Sounds good Jim.

For reference, here is the WIU demo I made.  In the settings screen you can see the playable whistle selector ON/OFF.  You work the playable whistle in the same way you do the regular whistle by pulling down on the whistle rope handle on the top right of the main control screen.  I'm looking forward to the release of the premium version of the app.

I didn't want to post comments about what's missing on the app. I was going to wait for the premium app for my RR. With the new big boy coming soon, I want to be able to get the most out of it. I do have a computer program for running them. It would be in the shed and that would be tough to see what's going on. Running from a android device would be ideal if it works.